Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-03-2014, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thuja green giants not growing

I planted some Thuja green giants last Spring for a customer and she is wondering why they have hardly grown yet.

The soil was really bad and I had to create raised bed soil to plant them. Do you think if I top dress with compost it will help the start to grow faster?

Any suggestions?
Old 04-03-2014, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

They may not do that well so far South, just a guess, as a lot of similar stuff wont take our heat.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstarblazer View Post
I planted some Thuja green giants last Spring for a customer and she is wondering why they have hardly grown yet.

The soil was really bad and I had to create raised bed soil to plant them. Do you think if I top dress with compost it will help the start to grow faster?

Any suggestions?
How big were the green giants when planted? I've planted over a hundred ranging from 1 gallon to 15' tall. I've only planted them in poor clay soil and they do well. The only ones I've planted that grew slowly were those in the shade and those that were 15' tall when planted. If the ones you planted were 7 gallons or less and planted in full sun then they should grow 2-3' per year. Maybe only 1' the first year though. You just planted them a year ago which means most of the growth occurred within the root zone. I
Old 04-05-2014, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Member

And to answer the question about top dressing with compost--it will not promote growth but may help retain moisture. If you want to promote growth fertilize deep into the soil where the roots are located within the drip line and water regularly.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachj265 View Post
How big were the green giants when planted? I've planted over a hundred ranging from 1 gallon to 15' tall. I've only planted them in poor clay soil and they do well. The only ones I've planted that grew slowly were those in the shade and those that were 15' tall when planted. If the ones you planted were 7 gallons or less and planted in full sun then they should grow 2-3' per year. Maybe only 1' the first year though. You just planted them a year ago which means most of the growth occurred within the root zone. I
They were actually about 6 foot in 15 gal when planted. They are in some shade and look fine but just not growing quick. I think this season we should see some growth.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachj265 View Post
And to answer the question about top dressing with compost--it will not promote growth but may help retain moisture. If you want to promote growth fertilize deep into the soil where the roots are located within the drip line and water regularly.
I did pound a spike in the ground in several spots around them about 8 inches deep and put down some fert. Think that is deep enough? I didn't have anything else longer at the time I thought about doing it.