Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-08-2013, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Tree and Shrub treatment service

Not sure if this is the best spot for this thread but I could not find a better one for what I am asking.

I am going to be offering a Tree and shrub treatment service but normally I would take time into consideration when charging but the time is minimal and product cost is also minimal (since I will be using the SumaGreen Turf which is also what I am treating my lawns with again this year). The cost is right and time is great while benefits to client is huge. So I was thinking making it cheap enough that everyone would add it if I only charged a few bucks or do you guys think I should maximize the money by charging by each shrub or tree.

If I charge by each shrub or tree what would you charge? A lot of people do not treat their shrubs and trees so this would be something (like in my area with all of the storms) where people may be thinking about it more as if the trees have stronger root systems maybe they would not comes down as easy in the storms. Just a thought.

Again trying to wrap my figure around a good fair price for the treatments and was also thinking of lower then most just to try to get the market in my area and get some referrals from this side of the business.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im diversifying into this service too. I have found out that it is a lot more profitable than lawn care. You need to get a price on your own. Everyone's demographics are different. I will be charging per plant but prices will be in increments. For instance 20-30 plants(1 price) 31-40 plants( different price), etc.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Member

I have even thought about treating the gardens with the SumaGreen products.

I love the idea of the grouping price for the plants. I think I may do that as well. I was going to do by the plant (in my head not on paper) but then it seemed a little too high to charge. Like I said I am probably going to be a low baller to drum up interest being that it is a new market at least around here.

I might just make it an add on. Something like pay for the lawn treatment for the year up front and get shrubs and trees treated for only $20-$30 for the year. I only need to treat the shrubs and tree with the SumaGreen twice a year and at a rate of 2 oz per treatment. I mean that is only like $1.25 for the year even at the high end of 2 oz I would still be making a good chunk of ROI on the service.

How much were you thinking of charging for the grouping of plants? And how often were you going to treat the plants?
Old 02-13-2013, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ok couple of things,

First, you are higher than a kite for thinking that spraying in a vegetable garden would even be remotely close to a good idea.

Second, you need to learn a lot more about trees and shrubs if you think you are going to be able to treat with suma green 2x per year and be ok...

Third, if you are charging 20-30 per year, I dont care what other services you get them to sign up for, you are going to get shot, hell, I might even come down and slap you silly....

www.CTPreservation.com

www.ChristmasDecorNY.com

"What do you mean we canít get rid of those weeds in time? Then go over there and put some fancy signs with Latin names in front of them."
Walt Disney
Old 02-14-2013, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes, I agree the garden is not exactly what I am looking to do but I figure if I offered the program for the older people in the community to spray their gardens since I already have the equipment and while I am there it would not take long and for the cost they would be saving money and time by having me apply it since the would not only have to buy the product but then spray it on. Either way not the main focus.

The answer is YES I can apply just two times a year for trees and shrubs as I have already looked into it. I was only going to apply (maybe a 3rd application) in Early May and then again in Early September (the 3rd would be middle of the Summer), I have already talked to the Sumagreen people about it and they suggested that they would use no less then 3 oz per 250 sq/ft of shrubs. I do realize that the 20-30 range is low but for the extra 5 minutes I would be there it would be just extra cash. I am not a huge company so it is easy for me to spend those extra minutes. I will probably charge more like $50 then I would definitely do a 3rd treatment. I am looking to see how it goes and all my clients are gong to be told this is an introductory price. This way I can charge more next year.

The people at Sumagreen said that the application would be comparable to blueberry bushes, Banana tree, orchards, etc. They said that those applications are roughly one gallon per acre each growing season but most are using 1.5 - 2 gallons because of they want a higher number of crops per bush or tree.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ok. Some questions

You are using the same formulation for the lawn the trees and the garden?

What are you doing in conjunction with the sumagreen?

What about Insects? Fungus?

Your 20-30 bucks isn't low, just do it for free, it is the same. We wont set foot on a property for less than 75 per visit on our tree and shrub programs and you are going to do it for 10 per visit? Your not thinking this thru at all. You would be better off at McDonald's at minimum wage if you are going to charge 10 bucks a visit

www.CTPreservation.com

www.ChristmasDecorNY.com

"What do you mean we canít get rid of those weeds in time? Then go over there and put some fancy signs with Latin names in front of them."
Walt Disney
Old 02-15-2013, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same questions.. When you fertilize a tree/shrub and the plant starts showing results the insects will come. It will basically make those plants look like a steak instead of lunch meat, same with lawns. So what happens when these people are paying for nice looking plants and they end up with no leave by the end of summer? My minimum price is about the same as Hokies. Spraying gardens sounds like a huge liability, I don't even spray fruit trees.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-15-2013, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The one thing about fertilizing trees, especially trees that have roots under irrigated lawns, is the idea of rapid growth... I notice in my landscapes the trees all get fertilizer, maybe too much fertilizer,,, becuz they they all are near enough to lawns that are fertilized and under irrigation...

It is difficult to say How Much fertilizer is good for trees,,, but the landscapes that I work in have noticed over the years unhealthy growth in some trees,,,, especially near houses where rapid weak growth isn't good... If you could provide the clients with wise council and look at trees as individual as oppsed to a,,, one size fits all, you could have a good reputation in the business... it sounds like you want to jump into the business and expect results to be good... I'm trying to get some of my clients to back off, the very thing you want to promote...
What is background in the Botany of Trees???
Old 02-15-2013, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Understand the rapid and weak growth in the trees. Definitely not good especially in our area that has seen some high winds and storms this past year.
Making the root systems stronger is exactly what I am trying to do here so the trees can be more stable. This is the whole purpose of using the sumagreen which has shown me the stronger root development and healthier growth. Two things the trees need.

I do not think my clients are looking fro guarantees that the trees are not going to fall down I am just offering basically FOOD for the trees and the knowledge that the trees / shrubs will be healthier with these treatments. Helping these trees and shrubs to need less watering. Nothing different then what they are doing when they buy plant food for their indoor plants.

No. No background in Botany.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I am not/was not concerned about forcing weak/succulent growth as the suma green does not have fertilizer in it.

Matter of fact my concern was not with what you were applying as much as it is what you are not doing and how you are pricing your services.

I dont have any idea how you are presenting this service, seems like you are treating it like a throw away/non-important service in the way it is being presented and priced to me.

Suma green, along with any other stand alone product will never be an end all be all for anything. You need to be able to scout, identify and treat for any issues that will arise in your customers plant material.

I think you are underselling this service while over selling the benfits of sumagreen.

You are setting yourself up for failure, both financially and agronomically.

You are selling a plant "feeding" for 10 bucks, I wont touch a feeding for less than 125 (and I am in the average range). Do you really think you can do for $10 what most of the companies out there are charging $125 for?

And you still have not addressed how you are planning on treating for insects, fungus etc...

You need a plan/program in place that is a little more in depth and comprehensive than just backpacking some sumagreen on the bushes and thinking that everything is going to be just ducky. I wish it was that easy....

www.CTPreservation.com

www.ChristmasDecorNY.com

Walt Disney