Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-13-2013, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

LLC questions in GA

Has anyone set up a Single man operation LLC in the state of Georgia by themselves? This means without using legalzoom or other services like that. Do I have to have a Ga Dept of Revenue ID number? I have no employees besides myself and I do not believe I have to tax my services. Any help from a single person operation in GA would be awesome.

Thanks
Old 02-13-2013, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I am a solo operator in GA. Go to the secretary of state of GA site. Pay $100 and register your LLC. You will need to designate yourself as the registered agent (in this case just remember to renew your LLC one year from the date you form it otherwise your LLC is not valid). Then, you need to draft a operating agreement. Google LLC operating agreement templates. Since you are a solo operation this will be very simple. Then for good measure I had a meeting and identified myself as the owner operator(100% ownership 100% of profit), what bank account I am using etc. I got a IRS employer Identification number from the IRS website (free), depending on what your expected income is you will be tax as an individual (this is what I elected but I ain't no tax attorney- consult one they are usually free for the first consult) a business license for the county ($100 annually) I live in...ummmm a live plant license (Ga Dept of Agriculture $75 annually) and some general liability insurance and a theft/fire/damage insurance policy on my equipment and tools. Depending on how much gear you have etc this will range from $200-infinity per year. That is all I can thing of for now. If you have any questions PM me buddy.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Also, I put all the paperwork neatly in a binder. I keep it with me at all times and I show it to new clients to show them I am legit and I have insurance, LLC, business license etc. It always puts them at ease. That is a good time to quickly hit on why they don't want to hire billy joe ray bobs lawn care service that doesn't have insurance or business licenses. Anyways, hope this helps. I started last year, I was there scared and without a clue not too long ago. Don't pay the legal zoom fees, they are expensive and cookie cutter.

You will have to tax any retail goods you sell. You do not have to tax your labor/services.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
Also, I put all the paperwork neatly in a binder. I keep it with me at all times and I show it to new clients to show them I am legit and I have insurance, LLC, business license etc. It always puts them at ease. That is a good time to quickly hit on why they don't want to hire billy joe ray bobs lawn care service that doesn't have insurance or business licenses. Anyways, hope this helps. I started last year, I was there scared and without a clue not too long ago. Don't pay the legal zoom fees, they are expensive and cookie cutter.

You will have to tax any retail goods you sell. You do not have to tax your labor/services.
I sent you a PM, So far it looks like I am on the right track besides that I have a GA tax ID # and I dont think I need one.