Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-09-2013, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

from open to enclosed

Thinking about making the switch this year to at least one trailer... I run 16ft opens right now which give me plenty of room generally. Question is...will a 16ft enclosed be enough? Id prefer 18 but those seem hard to find... most are 16 with a wedge nose or a 20 that's flat nosed.... who of y'all have and.how do I like your enclosed...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2013, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There are benefits on both types of trailers and there are some post in the archive on this subject. For me I run 2 trailers both 18. The open I am able to put in shop at night. To run a second the other had to set out. I couldn't stand the thought of leaving the stuff out and unloading everynight is a pain. So got a 18 enclosed slightly rounded front. I like them both. Since I have a dump truck and truck, the dump truck runs the enclosed and the truck runs the open. I ran a small 8.5 x 12 for a couple of years for the small mower and loved it and decided to go to the 18 enclosed. If I had to choose at this point it would be the enclosed. I would also say the 16 would have to be V and 8.5 wide. Good luck!
Old 02-09-2013, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a 8.5x16 enclosed and a 7x14 open. The open trailer has sat in the yard for a year and a half. I like the enclosed better for security as well as advertising. I have sides and back lettered. In the front of the enclosed I built a shelf system to hold sprayers, chemicals, fertilizer/seed, etc. Besides, have you ever tried to PEE in an open trailer? LOL.....go enclosed.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

All valid points I have weighed the options of so far... I can't see.many disadvantages of the closed vs the open... I have dump trailer.so I generally.wont b hauling.much debris in the closed. I see a lot at 7 ft wide though.... id prefer the 8.5 but if I'm going used.most are narrower. U think thee v nose helps on gas milage? I want to set this up for my spraying/ irrigation trailer with shelves in the nose for tools, parts, and a rack above for PVC... still want the option to haul my mowers and equipement though if needed. I can put my trailers in.my shop but still the weather has hurt all my equipement in some way... faded paint, died out primer bulbs... getting rained on... just can't.b good on it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2013, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I have both. The open trailer is easier and quicker touse. Just reach over and grap the line trimmer. But the enclosed has advantages. Advertising, security, etc. Definately get the wider units. The 7 foot wide is hard to get to everything.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If u had to buy all new trailers what would u choose
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2013, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Member

If you are mow, blow and go type operation then go with open. Full service you need an enclosed.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would buy an enclosed again, and will eventually replace the open with enclosed.

V is easier on fuel. My issue was I wanted maximum room in the 18' length. A 16 with 2' or 3' v nose doesn't have the room as a 18 square and 18 was my max length. With a 9' or 11' bed truck pulling 18' is max I wanted for the neighborhoods. 8 or 8.5 width is the only way to go IMO.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curleelawncare View Post
I have a 8.5x16 enclosed and a 7x14 open. The open trailer has sat in the yard for a year and a half. I like the enclosed better for security as well as advertising. I have sides and back lettered. In the front of the enclosed I built a shelf system to hold sprayers, chemicals, fertilizer/seed, etc. Besides, have you ever tried to PEE in an open trailer? LOL.....go enclosed.
Wanna sell that 7x14?