Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-05-2003, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Member

bent-grass in VA

I've attempted bentgrass last season for a slate patio near our lakefront. The drought got the best of it. Can anyone suggest a low growing grass or ground cover that's drought resistant for zone 7-8, Virginia? Our initial attempt was Thyme but it took to long to root and spread. I'm open to ideas at this point. Russ
Old 02-06-2003, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do not know what you mean by a slate patio - is the turf being grown around it?
There are many varieties of Agrostis Palustris (creeping bentgrass) that work very well.
I need more info on your desired height of cut, machine used to cut, soil profile info, irrigation, etc.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Member

I tried to attach a photo yesterday but had to resize it. Here is the patio I'm referring to. The preferred height would be no more than 2". I have ammended the soil with compost and sand. I use a rotary push mower on the lowest setting. I've not tested the ph level. We ran water to the area so I can place a sprinkler, which we did last year and had a good stand of grass, but had to quit considering we're on well water in a rural area. The seed I used last year is called Penncross creeping bentgrass from outsidepride.com
This photo was taken before I planted.
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2003, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

A picture is worth a thousand words - nice patio. I hope my wife doesn't see it or she will want one too!
As far as the Penncross - excellent low growing bentgrass - however, primarily used for putting greens on golf courses.
I am not familiar with the climate you mention, however, a more drought resistant variety of bentgrass is the A1 thru A4 and G1 thru G4 strains available from Tee to Green.
The big problem is all these turf types require regular irrigation - in the summer you are going to have to water at least once every 4 days.
As far as a ground cover, at this time I can't think of one.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for your input. I'll look into the grass you suggested. Russ
Old 03-05-2003, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Location: is the luck of the irish that I wish you the top of the day. As morning is only so long. From a lost irishman in Joplin, Missouri
if you want to use a bentgrass.Penncross is fine but bentgrass is alot of work.And never use a rotary mower on bent. Must use reel mower 10 blade if you can.Your best bet on the patio would be bentgrass plugs if you choose the bentgrass