Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-09-2013, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Member

First Year in Business, Equipment help

This is my first year in business I have 14,000$ saved up I have no equipment, What should I buy with the money I have commercial only
Old 02-10-2013, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

more information needed. what will you be doing cutting only, landscaping only, fert. only? If its cutting what size lawns are in your area 4k, 8k, 12k, what sq ft. Do you already have a truck and trailer? Give a description of what you plan on doing?
Old 02-11-2013, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I would start by looking on Craigslist, or similar local ads, to see if anyone in your area was getting out of the business and had a nice used equipment package for sale. Make sure to only buy equipment you would want. It is not worth saving money if your not happy with what you get. You may even be able to pick up a few accounts from the seller in the deal. If that doesn't work I would look at new equipment.

Do you already have a truck? If so, I would buy a trailer, and the 2cycle equipment you will need every day. You can rent hedge trimmers for a while if you only need them once or twice a month. I would then save $2000 toward my first months expenses and put the rest towards a good commercial mower. Hopefully with a good down payment you could finance the rest of the mower at zero percent.

If you do not have a truck, I would spend $6000 to $8000 on the cleanest used truck I could find, a trailer, 2cycle equipment, and finance a mower. For a truck, look around the yards of reputable service companies in your area. (Builders, roofers, plumbers, etc.) If you see a few nice older trucks sitting in their yard, ask if they are for sale. Good companies usually maintain their trucks well. You might even be able to trade some of the price for landscape work at the owner's home. This would be a great way to get an inexpensive truck, a new customer, and a potential business mentor.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.