Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2013, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire3416 View Post
who did you go through?
I went through a broker the insurance is through accord. I think I got such a great price because my nslga membership and I am a vet
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-18-2013, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

We pay 180 a year for 2 million with a 4 mil agg. American Family. We don't insure our equipment as our area has low theft, only lost one blower in 12 years. I would shop around Liability policies are all pretty close to the same. I would have nothing less than a million dollar policy.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sildoc View Post
We pay 180 a year for 2 million with a 4 mil agg. American Family. We don't insure our equipment as our area has low theft, only lost one blower in 12 years. I would shop around Liability policies are all pretty close to the same. I would have nothing less than a million dollar policy.
I'm not sure where you are from I'm on my phone but I think insurance is also based on where the insurance is for. I'm in ny and everything is expensive here 610 is the best price for what I got included in the policy
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-18-2013, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmike View Post
I'm not sure where you are from I'm on my phone but I think insurance is also based on where the insurance is for. I'm in ny and everything is expensive here 610 is the best price for what I got included in the policy
Posted via Mobile Device
Were in Oregon, Yes Insurance is based on the analysis of chance of loss so it will cost more or less based on that.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Definitely go with 1mill/2 mill aggregate as a minimum. I pay 570 for landscaping and plowing general through erie. I just had to increase it to 2 million for landscaping and my trucks which cost an extra 600 per year. With commercial on the trucks and these 2 policies im around 3100 to insure everything
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2013, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Mike, while $300K is ok to start, the difference between that and $1 mill is only appx $200 more per year. Also, you will likely run into a customer, village, etc that requires $ 1mill at some point and it's best to have it up front before you need it. Make sure you buy it from a local independent insurance agent who can shop around for you and who doesn't work for the insurance company. I have my favorites here on LI and I'm happy to help if you need me. You can reach me at 516-233-3515 or BPalmeri@Archerins.com. Good luck.
Ben
Old 02-19-2013, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

get the 1 mil. Shop around for it. As far as getting your equipment covered, it's called an "inland marine" policy. Not exactly sure how it works, but it's sort of added on to your gen liability. It should cover you on theft/fire/rolling off a cliff or into a swimming pool.....Ask your agent to clarify.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You guys are getting by cheap.

$3,200 month
Old 02-19-2013, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Member

We use Accord for our GL with $1mil/$2mil policy and it runs us around $3600 a year. Ours is more then normal due to commercial snow removal in the winter months. Don't forget most companies will also require workman's comp if you plan to do commercial work..
Old 02-20-2013, 03:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a independent insurance agent who is a rock star in my book. I was through acuity and now he switched me to merchants. Same insurance for the trucks, trailer, equipment, and GL. He shops it for me every year before the renewal then i go in and see what he says.