Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-05-2013, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Replacing GX120 with predator

I have a jumping jack tamper that I got for a steal at an auction... It doesnt want to run now that I'm going to be needing it and I don't have the time to fiddle around with it.

I was thinking of replacing it with a predator engine from harbor freight. I don't want this thread to be a bashing contest against predator engines... I'm aware that they aren't top of the line, but the price is right.

Can anyone tell me if the predator 212 cc will work in place of the honda gx120?
Old 04-05-2013, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Member

here is the replacement engine: http://www.harborfreight.com/engines...7hp-69730.html
Old 04-05-2013, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

As long as the crankshaft is the same size, Slap it on and go to work......

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 04-06-2013, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Slap it on and go to work......
I resemble that remark....
A bunch of the local gocarters are using those engines with good results..
A few modifications and they make pretty good horsepower and top speeds..
When they blow them up..replacement is relatively cheap..
Those Chonda's...chinese honda's...hold up pretty good..
Old 04-06-2013, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Oh hell yeah just like those deals on TV where they don't send you just ONE but TWO!!!
Complete pieces of junk so if you're not happy with the first maybe you will like the other one better!?

You know something I figured out about cheap pieces of equipment...
They are cheap to replace, which means after about the third one I always come to the realization...

I have a predator on a tiller of mine that after 30 years of faithful service the carburetor on the Kohler T-model engine...
To give you some idea, the T stood for Recoil meaning the model right before it you had to wind the rope around the crankshaft pulley by hand...

They had wanted $238 for a replacement carburetor.
That exact 212cc Predator on sale was just north of $100.

Now I only use that tiller once or twice a year.
For anywhere from 20 minutes to two to three hours at a time.
That is all the use it sees, I doubt that tiller engine runs more than two hours out of the year.
And for that application, the Predator is a beautiful engine.

I would NOT, however, want a Predator engine in a full-time use machine of mine.
No, not for a machine that gets used a lot, no way.
Better off get a Briggs, I am telling you.

Last edited by herler; 04-06-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
I resemble that remark....
A bunch of the local gocarters are using those engines with good results..
Yea, had one of these gocarts with the Chonda in the shop over the winter. I was the guy's last resort. The dealer where he bought the cart could not get it to start
All I had to do was adjust the choke cable to close the choke
Now he brings it back to me when ever he has a problem
with it

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 04-07-2013, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Let's see, you have 2 of the most knowledgeable, respected mechanics on here telling you to go for it, and a 3rd person who is known for bashing everything, telling you it's a mistake.
Hmmm, which way should you go?
Old 04-07-2013, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboyd351 View Post
Let's see, you have 2 of the most knowledgeable, respected mechanics on here telling you to go for it, and a 3rd person who is known for bashing everything, telling you it's a mistake.
Hmmm, which way should you go?
Don't forget to mention after 20 years of trying to explain it every day they still keep coming back with the same question, ever occur to you it gets to where some folks simply found a nice way of saying you want to jump off the damn cliff too then do it already and stop asking! No, I get it, you don't think I'm tired of it...

Yes, I understand some kids it's the only way to teach them a lesson but you don't need to get smart in return to the one guy who is only trying to tell somebody something, either. You call me a basher but I find your retort no less irritating, now I want you to see how this feels, too.

Don't forget to mention...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistonslapper
When they blow them up..replacement is relatively cheap..
You didn't see that, or you chose to skip the reading between the lines figuring you'd get a quick joke in?
That's fine by me, I have a sense of humor but don't bash me for trying to talk sense in between all the funnies.

You understand the part where go-carts used in racing generally DO replace engines EVERY race so it doesn't matter to them so long it's cheap and produces LOTS of HP for SHORT periods of TIME, you GET that this translates to Predators being throw-away engines is the reason why I call them garbage, you understand that...

Don't forget to mention these things you endless comedians, who is going to be laughing and who is going to be shedding the tears of frustration, when that POS Predator doesn't hold up it doesn't matter none to you, you're not taking the liability there Mister don't forget that.

Last edited by herler; 04-07-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm also guessing these go-carters are doing short races, 8-10 minutes or even shorter because I can tell you in terms of consistency a Briggs would whoop the pants off those Predators and a Kohler would seriously damage their reputation in all but the shortest of the short races where the only thing that matters is whored up power the devil may care if the engine blows so long it makes it the three to five minutes down the track where I'm guessing these kids are putt-putting around in so-called 8 or 10 lap "heat" events a few hundred miles short of even mildly serious racing and they're sure not sitting in ten thousand dollar carts either tell you right now this short amateur track ten miles from my house don't run Predators.
http://southsidespeedway.com/

But you run what you want, and WHEN...
When it blows up, when it doesn't hold up, when it busts your nuts upside the head.
That's when I want you to tell me I told you wrong.

Tell me I told you wrong when my Predator on my tiller cuts out and shuts down randomly.
Every so many minutes, I have to patiently disengage drive and tines, walk around and start it all back up again.
It does this three, four, five or ten times in an hour, however that engine feels like 'doing me' that day.
You talk adjustment, I had to rig it up just so it would work, of course I'm not the experienced guy here so I did
it wrong since I don't know nothing but you're so smart, come on back anytime, be nice if you brought some ass.

Last edited by herler; 04-07-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
ever occur to you it gets to where some folks simply found a nice way of saying you want to jump off the damn cliff too then do it already and stop asking!

Herler...... Does this look like Slapper is sending anyone off a cliff ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
Those Chonda's...chinese honda's...hold up pretty good..

Ahhh...... My reply wasn't either, I have three Chonda's on my rental equipment that's needed nothing but general maintenance for over 8 years..... And let me tell you..... People that rent equipment don't give a dam about it and run the dog out of it, When I feel I've seen it all I see something new......

Sooo...... In my opinion, If proper maintenance is performed these Chonda engines hold up well for the price......

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!