Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-07-2013, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

How does this sound

Notice: To all residentialclients and non-contract semi commercial

Effective: February 2013

It is with deep regret that we are sending this letter. After much thought and discussion, we have made the hard decision to cease all residential mowing.

We will still offer weed, fertilizer and Fire Ant control along with irrigation, light landscaping, seasonal color and commercial maintenance.

We are referring the residential mowing to XXXXX XXXXX, [XXX] XXX XXXX. We have shown him the lawns and we feel he can do a satisfactory job.

If you would like us to continue any or all of the services in paragraph two, please do not hesitate to give us a call.

Thank you so much for your many years of patronage and we wish you and yours all the very best.

Sincerly, The Turf Dawg Family

Please let me know what you think I should word differently [think I already see some] or any other thing you would add or change.

Thank you, Bill
Old 02-07-2013, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I would remove the sentence about having deep regret, personally. The tone is that somehow you're struggling.

I would keep a more light hearted tone, and just say your company is moving in a different direction. That will help your clients keep confidence in the other services you're still offering, and in the person you're referring them to.

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-07-2013, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like having Residential clients in my own back yard. You lose money with too much windshield time but with a relatively tight schedule the money is good.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with the above comment about "deep regret." The statement should be something about changing the focus of our business and the kinds of work we will do the for the coming season.

Also,you need more about the transition to XXX. The statement should be explicit with regard to communication, such as "XXX will be in contact with you in the next two weeks," or "... please call XXX to arrange a time for getting a proposal," or something similar. Your present language leaves too much open for an orderly transition.

You need more context about "paragraph two." Again, you need to be explicit on what is expected from the customer. I presume you have a contract that includes a "page two." Also, your statements imply that the contract needs to be renewed, " ... give us a call." If it is an annually renewed contract without intervention, then your statement should be clear about those provisions continuing for the next season.

I think you have too many loose ends, with too much room for ambiguities. These can only lead to misunderstandings and conflicts that are unnecessary.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do you want to really drop your residentials?????

Reason I ask is there is always a salesman for your competition running around trying to steal away commercial clients. That and commercial accounts are less loyal than residentials.

Just sayin.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

As others have said, I would say that your company is moving in another direction. And Give them a little bit more info about there soon to be new landscapers. Looks good otherwise.

Have to ask though... Why are you getting rid of all of residential? Even high end clients?(if you have any)

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 02-07-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
Notice: To all residentialclients and non-contract semi commercial

Effective: February 2013

It is with deep regret that we are sending this letter. After much thought and discussion, we have made the hard decision to cease all residential mowing.

Change to

Our company has experienced incredible growth the last few years and the demands of managing both residential and commercial accounts has taken us in a new direction. Starting this month I will focus my attention on the commercial mowing side of my business and expect to continue growth of my company in the commercial market. I have partnered with the following companies to take over our residential mowing customers. Rest assured that I am confident X company and Y company are very capable and will continue the exceptional service you are used to.

We will still offer weed, fertilizer and Fire Ant control along with irrigation, light landscaping, seasonal color and commercial maintenance.

We are referring the residential mowing to XXXXX XXXXX, [XXX] XXX XXXX. We have shown him the lawns and we feel he can do a satisfactory job.

If you would like us to continue any or all of the services in paragraph two, please do not hesitate to give us a call.

Don't say this ^^^^, assume they will continue, don't give them an out

We plan to continue all of the following services to both our residential and commercial customers. Weed, fertilizer, Fire Ant control along with irrigation, light landscaping, seasonal color and commercial maintenance.

Thank you so much for your many years of patronage and we wish you and yours all the ve.

Sincerly, The Turf Dawg Family

Please let me know what you think I should word differently [think I already see some] or any other thing you would add or change.

Thank you, Bill

I like simple and to the point
Snapper 21"
Toro Dingo 222
ISEKI Diesel Compact Tractor, attachments (bush hog, middle buster plow & land leveler
Steiner all wheel drive Tractor, attachments (stump grinder, rough cut mower, scrape blade & dual wheels)
5X10 open trailer
16' equipment trailer
1997 Ford F-350 7.3 4X4 SRW Crew Cab 8' bed
Old 02-07-2013, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i would scrap the entire letter, and start over. sorry, that one is terrible
Old 02-08-2013, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehitchman View Post

I like simple and to the point
That is a nice re-write. It is also a good point. Most of my new clients tell me the reason they are changing is because the person mowing will not do anything else. They do not have time, they are full booked.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Member

you have a much larger business than me if you are to this point to drop people , so i am certainly not in a position to give you advice or tell you are right or wrong , but i think if i was in this situation i would use the xxxx person as a subcontractor , so that you make a little off the lawns to , and i think whis would keep you in a better situation not to lose the other business you are getting from these customers. also people talk and word of mouth is pritty important , so i would do everything in my power not to upset these customers you never know who they might know at your commercial accounts , in my case alot of my commercial accounts came via knowing residential customers , just my thoughts though , best of luck on this seems like a tough situation to be in.