Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-10-2013, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Local church bid

Here's the deal. The local church / credit union which I belong to is accepting bids for the 2013 season. The total property is 2.9 acres but the cuttable acreage is 2 acres flat wide open with streets on two sides and a fence line with pine trees. Its a triangular shape lot with a small house on the west side of the property. I have talked to some other guys in the area about my area 51 location and I'm getting a few mixed rates. I know I own my company and I know I set the rates and such but I'm curious to see what you guys think. Its weekly mowing, trimming and, blowing. I asked about spring clean up and hedge trimming but he said he only wants a proposal for weekly cutting. The problem I'm having is do I charge hourly or do I charge by acreage. I have a toro mx4260, I know its small but I can always upgrade if I get this and another few accounts I have bid on. I have one helper . Also this location is literally 5 blocks from my house. I'm gonna say what I think I'm gonna bid so you guys don't think I'm looking for you to bid my job.
125 per week
500 monthly
Please any posts will be helpful and don't bother posting if your posts are negative. I'm new and isn't this what forums are for discussion and help. THANKS
Old 02-10-2013, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds pretty close for two acres and considering it's a church. $60 per acre.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-10-2013, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandalawncaremgr View Post
Here's the deal. The local church / credit union which I belong to is accepting bids for the 2013 season. The total property is 2.9 acres but the cuttable acreage is 2 acres flat wide open with streets on two sides and a fence line with pine trees. Its a triangular shape lot with a small house on the west side of the property. I have talked to some other guys in the area about my area 51 location and I'm getting a few mixed rates. I know I own my company and I know I set the rates and such but I'm curious to see what you guys think. Its weekly mowing, trimming and, blowing. I asked about spring clean up and hedge trimming but he said he only wants a proposal for weekly cutting. The problem I'm having is do I charge hourly or do I charge by acreage. I have a toro mx4260, I know its small but I can always upgrade if I get this and another few accounts I have bid on. I have one helper . Also this location is literally 5 blocks from my house. I'm gonna say what I think I'm gonna bid so you guys don't think I'm looking for you to bid my job.
125 per week
500 monthly
Please any posts will be helpful and don't bother posting if your posts are negative. I'm new and isn't this what forums are for discussion and help. THANKS
You want to charge enough to make money. Isn't that the idea?
Why can't you take negative advice with the good?

As for upgrading. I already knew what I was after client and property wise, so I bought the right stuff BEFORE I officially opened. I have no need to upgrade my equipment as I bought good commercial brands from the start. I do understand some start with their dad's push mower and don't have a choice.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Not that I care about negative posts but some people blow **** way out of contexts. Anyway I wasn't born with a golden spoon in my mouth and Im not about to go into debt to buy equipment I don't need. As this is my first year bidding commercial. As for the mx4260 it has a Kawasaki engine and a stamped deck. All my other equip is all commercial.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My typical is about 80 per AC for mowing, line trimming and such. Beds, mulch, flower and hedge trimming, weed control, are extra as required
Old 02-10-2013, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Historically municipal and non-profit properties bid very low. You may get $60 an acre easily on residential but I wouldnt be surprised if the winning bid is half that for a church.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-10-2013, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Historically municipal and non-profit properties bid very low. You may get $60 an acre easily on residential but I wouldnt be surprised if the winning bid is half that for a church.
Posted via Mobile Device
I rarely bid on either as a result. I am however developing a relationship with the city I live in and find it might not be as bad as I thought it would be.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELS Landscape View Post
I rarely bid on either as a result. I am however developing a relationship with the city I live in and find it might not be as bad as I thought it would be.
Im in the same boat. I only have one church and one school left and when they go back out to bid I wont win.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-10-2013, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I'd start by asking you who you met with on your sales call?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2013, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

A church is a volunteer-based non-profit organization that survives on donations, nobody at the church is getting paid for what they do so I would bid it a little on the low side, towards where you're not making any money.