Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-17-2013, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I think I will give it a try! What can I lose - 50$ and my time most people around here have st. A. And Bermuda, a want something else! I will keep you posted with results, but that will be April
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-18-2013, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Zoysia is becoming more prevalent here also. The primary cultivars we see are Empire, Jamur, El Toro and ???. For awhile, the recently released Ultimate Flora variety was pushed. It was a DISASTER in my opinion. I would never select that variety if the choice were mine. Additionally, I much prefer reel mowers, and we tend to recommend higher fertility rates (and more water) than the current UF guidelines. Once established, zoysia can recover from drought injury better than SA...likely due to the presence of stolons and rhizomes. We have two fairly large (17 K+) Empire lawns on the same street...but about three houses apart. One is cut low (around 3/4 inch) whereas the other is cut tall (3-4"). The short one is dynamite... the tall one is ok but nothing to write home about. Currently, zoysia is not bothered by chinch bugs (which has been a selling point due to the Pyrethroid resistant SCB's that we have been experiencing). Perhaps, one day, the SCB's will expand their host feeding preferences but likely not anytime soon. Enough rambling. Toodles.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsNbows View Post
Zoysia is becoming more prevalent here also. The primary cultivars we see are Empire, Jamur, El Toro and ???. For awhile, the recently released Ultimate Flora variety was pushed. It was a DISASTER in my opinion. I would never select that variety if the choice were mine. Additionally, I much prefer reel mowers, and we tend to recommend higher fertility rates (and more water) than the current UF guidelines. Once established, zoysia can recover from drought injury better than SA...likely due to the presence of stolons and rhizomes. We have two fairly large (17 K+) Empire lawns on the same street...but about three houses apart. One is cut low (around 3/4 inch) whereas the other is cut tall (3-4"). The short one is dynamite... the tall one is ok but nothing to write home about. Currently, zoysia is not bothered by chinch bugs (which has been a selling point due to the Pyrethroid resistant SCB's that we have been experiencing). Perhaps, one day, the SCB's will expand their host feeding preferences but likely not anytime soon. Enough rambling. Toodles.
why was ulitmate flora a disaster?
Old 02-18-2013, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I just read the maintenance recommendations put out by one of the sod growers for Ultimate Flora. Any zoysia will do badly if starved and mowed with a rotary. Especially if someone is trying to bring a rotary down to 11/2".

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 02-19-2013, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Member

The major issue we experienced with Ultimate Flora Zoysia primarily centered around initial "tack-down". Even with proper site prep, decent sod to start with, starter fertilizer, adequate watering and pest management and kid glove treatments, the sod would just not get any roots down into the existing soil substrate. I recall instances, after 9-12 months, where the sod could still just be lifted up as if it were just laid. You may see (on average) 1-3 roots about 2-3 " long per sod piece and the rest of the roots were confined to the original mat. Root initiation and development was nill. No roots = no top.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It seems that alot of the zoyisa seems to have that problem.. it seems a few yrs back i would look at new sod that was laid several months before i seen it and it looks like it was just laid...you could still the squares of the outline of the sod...
Old 02-19-2013, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here in Missouri, I think Meyer Zoysia, does pretty well cut at 3" to 4". Have a few customers with it and they like it tall. Everyone that I cut tall did well with our heat and drought last summer. A few that were cut short, under 2", got fried.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Hello Everybody,

My name is Stan and im living in Destin, Florida. I would like to share my experience with Zenith Zoysia (Seeded Time Lapse 2013). The first couple pictures are how my front yard used to look.

I sprayed on 3/16/2013 with Spectracide Weed and Grass Killer Concentrate. Is Cheaper and does the job. Repeated 2 weeks later, because i missed some spots. My advice, wait until mid April or wait when everything start to grow for better results. This year march and april were little bit colder, and some of the weed started to grow later.

I did small part of my yard approximately 400 Sq. Ft. total around 8000. I wanted to try and see how will go. I cleaned, tilled and raked everything by hand. Wasn't easy and next time i will use power tools My soil test come back with perfect PH 6.6. I did added 10 bags of Organic Compost from Home Depot for around 1.60$ a bag, but honestly was just a waste of money and time. I would like to Thank you to my Friend Mike, who help me a a lot sharing his experience growing the grass. Thanks Mike

Ready for seeds, and seeded on 4/16/2013

I used hand spreader for seeding, but im not happy with it!!!! Did east - west first, then north - south. Rake very light and try to cover the seeds, but not too deep!!!!
Done My first watering

I watering 10 min at 8am, 11am, 1pm, 3pm and if its hot day one more at 6pm. And Finally after 14 days first sings of Zenith Zoysia are showing

This is for now. I will guys keep you posted. Thanks
Old 04-30-2013, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

Empire Zoysia is being grown by one of our larger sod producers in my area. BTW Empire Zoysia is DNA patent protected and costs $ 120 a 400sq ft pallet at the Farm loaded on your truck. Now add in transportation and labor etc to install it. Compare that to $ 60 for the same size pallet of St Augustine at the same farm.

IMHO it is being over sold by telling people it is Drought Tolerant. While it is Drought Tolerant and will go dormant and come back. What is not being told to the customer, is it requires more water than St Augustine to look good.

Bermuda is the only year round SEEDED turf that establishes easily in the calcareous sandy soil of Gulf Coast Florida. In fact it does excellent in good soil. Common Bermuda fits a wide range of landscapes from ROW utility turf to fine home lawns. The quality of Bermuda turf is depend on the care given. However it survives nicely without any care as a utility turf. My own lawn is Bermuda and I use Roundup on it as a Growth Regulator and only mow it 8 times a year. BTW I also keep a reasonable green by using minor elements.

I can't help but remember 20 years ago and FX 10 St Augustine that was developed by U of F. It was suppose to be the next Sliced Bread. It didn't require as much water but you couldn't make it green no matter what you put on it. No one wants a Yellow Lawn.

My point being, Go with the common stuff that is well proven and let the Brave spend their money on chasing Dreams.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

We are approaching 21 days since seeding. How about a update with photos?

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!