Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-26-2013, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mowing leaves when ground is frozen

Yesterday, I saw a few guys out mowing up leaves and the temperature is only about 25 degrees and the ground is frozen. I would think this is very hard on the grass plant. What is your take on this? There wasn't frost on the grass, but it just seems as if the grass really crunches down or flattens even when I walk on it. I am waiting for it to warm back up into the 40s before I get the mower back out. Will mowing over it damage the plant? I would rather just use the blower and tarp with the little bit I have left to do.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

The Greens Keeper where I play golf will not allow play if there is FROST on the grass. The minute the frost is gone, he opens the place up. He will mow until the first snow falls, too. Don't know the theory, but I follow his lead.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdguth View Post
Yesterday, I saw a few guys out mowing up leaves and the temperature is only about 25 degrees and the ground is frozen. I would think this is very hard on the grass plant. What is your take on this? There wasn't frost on the grass, but it just seems as if the grass really crunches down or flattens even when I walk on it. I am waiting for it to warm back up into the 40s before I get the mower back out. Will mowing over it damage the plant? I would rather just use the blower and tarp with the little bit I have left to do.
Yes..it will damage the plant
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me
Old 11-28-2013, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't mow in either extreme cold or severe heat, frozen turf and dormant grass, riding over it will damage the turf because the plant's blades can 'snap' (or crinkle) as the tires ride over it... Makes sense the golf superintendent keeps folks from playing when it's frozen too, even walking on it will do that.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Will it hurt the turf if I mow the leaves off the lawn when the temp is in the 40's but at night gets into the twenties?
Old 11-28-2013, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMowerKing10 View Post
Will it hurt the turf if I mow the leaves off the lawn when the temp is in the 40's but at night gets into the twenties?
No, if u mow when it is above freezing and there is no frost on the ground, it will not hurt the grass. Just make sure the frost is gone in the morning before u start. If you mow with frost on the ground it will break of the leaf blades at the crown and u would see dead stripes where the tires were a few days later. More than likely the grass would come back the next spring.
Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-28-2013, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

+1. We're still blowing and removing leaves with snow on the ground.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-29-2013, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You guys who wait around for the ground to unfreeze before working must either have a lot of winter income or you've made enough to make it till next spring. I'm still mowing over leaves in the 20s because the work may not be there next week if we get early snows. I think the grass is resilient enough that it will come back with a vengeance next spring. We're already damaging the turf a little just using these heavy ztrs on it anyways, will a little more damage really matter in the long run?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-29-2013, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Member

By now I have made PLENTY enough revenue to carry me over to spring. So yes, I wait until the ground and leaves covered in frost thaw out before starting the day. Today I didn't start until 10am. With the short days, (gets dark at 5:30 too) I'm behind schedule, but its ok. Don't worry about being on schedule this time of year. Its just leaves. Final clean-ups will get done as i get to them. Two more weeks worth of work, 70% revenue per week, because of short days, as customers are finished for season. Then deliver pizzas for the winter.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
You guys who wait around for the ground to unfreeze before working must either have a lot of winter income or you've made enough to make it till next spring. I'm still mowing over leaves in the 20s because the work may not be there next week if we get early snows. I think the grass is resilient enough that it will come back with a vengeance next spring. We're already damaging the turf a little just using these heavy ztrs on it anyways, will a little more damage really matter in the long run?
Posted via Mobile Device
You have to do what you have to do, some of us live in a warm enough climate where starting a bit late isn't such a big deal, not to mention work goes along a lot smoother once things are thawed out... But I also understand, some parts of the country it gets so cold that it is simply not possible... So we compromise, at some point it either gets done frozen or not at all means it gets done.

Either way thou, my days are definitely short in winter.