Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-12-2013, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use 89 octane, as that is what Stihl specifies. Although I'm sure going higher is fine.

I had a very long but simple conversation with a Stihl rep one night at a party. He said the NUMBER ONE reason for all small engine repairs is by far fuel issues. You must be strict and not mess with incorrect ratios. At the fuel pump, I fill each 2 gallon can to exactly 2.000 on the meter (or maybe 2.001 or .002!) Use MotoMix or a similar high-octane, ethanol-free mix for storage or a few times a year for maintenance. Good to go.

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite
Old 02-12-2013, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Member

My dealer said the 93 will not harm it. As long as it is a 50:1 ratio it will be fine! I run 93 in my mowers too!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2013, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Stihl and Amsoil synthetics are very similar. One of my Stihl dealers has told me that I can use the Stihl oil at the same ratio (80:1) as Amsoil and he will warrant it.
Now that is interesting and it just goes to show you can't trust anyone other than the manufacturer. I asked Stihl this very same thing a couple months ago in an e-mail, and they e-mailed back that HP is to be mixed at 50:1 only.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectEarth View Post
I use 89 octane, as that is what Stihl specifies. Although I'm sure going higher is fine. I had a very long but simple conversation with a Stihl rep one night at a party. He said the NUMBER ONE reason for all small engine repairs is by far fuel issues. You must be strict and not mess with incorrect ratios. At the fuel pump, I fill each 2 gallon can to exactly 2.000 on the meter (or maybe 2.001 or .002!) Use MotoMix or a similar high-octane, ethanol-free mix for storage or a few times a year for maintenance. Good to go.
That is not what Stihl specificies. That is the minimum octane they recommend, and higher is better if available. That's right on their site.

I agree on the fuel being the biggest cause of problems these days, and Stihl also has that posted on their site. Too bad all these companies use that as an excuse not to honor their warranty.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Now that is interesting and it just goes to show you can't trust anyone other than the manufacturer. I asked Stihl this very same thing a couple months ago in an e-mail, and they e-mailed back that HP is to be mixed at 50:1 only.
I was also told by Stihl only mix at 50:1. Thus my change to Amsoil. But as long as his dealer honors the warranty I guess its ok.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2013, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I was also told by Stihl only mix at 50:1. Thus my change to Amsoil. But as long as his dealer honors the warranty I guess its ok.Posted via Mobile Device
Agreed.

My luck though, I'd try it and then the guy that said it wouldn't be around to honor it, or someone higher up the food chain would say no.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Amsoil Saber for all handhelds.

I used to use HP Ultra, but it isn't any better (maybe not even quite as good as) than Saber, and Saber costs a LOT less to buy and use.
Hey Ridin'.... where's the best place to buy Amsoil? I'm gonna try some after I use the Stihl I bought with my last blower. (The dealer doubled the length of the warranty on the blower if I bought a 6 pack of the Stihl oil to go with it.)
Thank ye kindly! Stan
Old 02-12-2013, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
Hey Ridin'.... where's the best place to buy Amsoil? I'm gonna try some after I use the Stihl I bought with my last blower. (The dealer doubled the length of the warranty on the blower if I bought a 6 pack of the Stihl oil to go with it.)
Thank ye kindly! Stan
I order right from Amsoil's website. Or you can use the dealer locator. Amsoil only sells through independent dealers(people), no big box stores. Classic pyramid scam...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2013, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hi Stan,
I buy from a local auto parts store that sells it. I used Amsoil's dealer locator that GMLC mentioned, and found I had several dealers nearby selling from their homes. I just happened to stop at the AP store to look for something else, and saw the Amsoil Saber sitting on the shelf. Same price as the smaller guys selling from their homes, and I don't have to drive near as far since the AP is less than a mile from me. I pay around $10.50 p/quart, but it may have gone up since I last stocked up last year. Still a far cry cheaper the HP Ultra (which I do like).
Old 02-12-2013, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I order right from Amsoil's website. Or you can use the dealer locator. Amsoil only sells through independent dealers(people), no big box stores. Classic pyramid scam...
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Hi Stan,
I buy from a local auto parts store that sells it. I used Amsoil's dealer locator that GMLC mentioned, and found I had several dealers nearby selling from their homes. I just happened to stop at the AP store to look for something else, and saw the Amsoil Saber sitting on the shelf. Same price as the smaller guys selling from their homes, and I don't have to drive near as far since the AP is less than a mile from me. I pay around $10.50 p/quart, but it may have gone up since I last stocked up last year. Still a far cry cheaper the HP Ultra (which I do like).
Thanks guys, I'm gonna try the 100/1 mix, even tho I'm "old school" and that ratio make me a little nervous. I'll just have to try to keep my "nads" crossed!
Have a good one!