Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 02-12-2013, 09:02 AM
PerfectEarth's Avatar
PerfectEarth PerfectEarth is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 1,677
I use 89 octane, as that is what Stihl specifies. Although I'm sure going higher is fine.

I had a very long but simple conversation with a Stihl rep one night at a party. He said the NUMBER ONE reason for all small engine repairs is by far fuel issues. You must be strict and not mess with incorrect ratios. At the fuel pump, I fill each 2 gallon can to exactly 2.000 on the meter (or maybe 2.001 or .002!) Use MotoMix or a similar high-octane, ethanol-free mix for storage or a few times a year for maintenance. Good to go.
__________________
--Specializing in Professional Landscape Installations and Enhancements--

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-12-2013, 11:48 AM
H & M Yard Improvements H & M Yard Improvements is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bloomingdale, NJ
Posts: 214
My dealer said the 93 will not harm it. As long as it is a 50:1 ratio it will be fine! I run 93 in my mowers too!
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Stihl and Amsoil synthetics are very similar. One of my Stihl dealers has told me that I can use the Stihl oil at the same ratio (80:1) as Amsoil and he will warrant it.
Now that is interesting and it just goes to show you can't trust anyone other than the manufacturer. I asked Stihl this very same thing a couple months ago in an e-mail, and they e-mailed back that HP is to be mixed at 50:1 only.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G
I can also tell by looking back to see how they're hanging and often reach back and feel them to see how firm they are.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-12-2013, 12:13 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectEarth View Post
I use 89 octane, as that is what Stihl specifies. Although I'm sure going higher is fine. I had a very long but simple conversation with a Stihl rep one night at a party. He said the NUMBER ONE reason for all small engine repairs is by far fuel issues. You must be strict and not mess with incorrect ratios. At the fuel pump, I fill each 2 gallon can to exactly 2.000 on the meter (or maybe 2.001 or .002!) Use MotoMix or a similar high-octane, ethanol-free mix for storage or a few times a year for maintenance. Good to go.
That is not what Stihl specificies. That is the minimum octane they recommend, and higher is better if available. That's right on their site.

I agree on the fuel being the biggest cause of problems these days, and Stihl also has that posted on their site. Too bad all these companies use that as an excuse not to honor their warranty.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G
I can also tell by looking back to see how they're hanging and often reach back and feel them to see how firm they are.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-12-2013, 12:34 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Now that is interesting and it just goes to show you can't trust anyone other than the manufacturer. I asked Stihl this very same thing a couple months ago in an e-mail, and they e-mailed back that HP is to be mixed at 50:1 only.
I was also told by Stihl only mix at 50:1. Thus my change to Amsoil. But as long as his dealer honors the warranty I guess its ok.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-12-2013, 12:39 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I was also told by Stihl only mix at 50:1. Thus my change to Amsoil. But as long as his dealer honors the warranty I guess its ok.Posted via Mobile Device
Agreed.

My luck though, I'd try it and then the guy that said it wouldn't be around to honor it, or someone higher up the food chain would say no.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G
I can also tell by looking back to see how they're hanging and often reach back and feel them to see how firm they are.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-12-2013, 01:34 PM
StanWilhite StanWilhite is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Decatur AL
Posts: 1,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Amsoil Saber for all handhelds.

I used to use HP Ultra, but it isn't any better (maybe not even quite as good as) than Saber, and Saber costs a LOT less to buy and use.
Hey Ridin'.... where's the best place to buy Amsoil? I'm gonna try some after I use the Stihl I bought with my last blower. (The dealer doubled the length of the warranty on the blower if I bought a 6 pack of the Stihl oil to go with it.)
Thank ye kindly! Stan
__________________
Shut 'er down Buford....she's slangin' oil !!!!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-12-2013, 01:59 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
Hey Ridin'.... where's the best place to buy Amsoil? I'm gonna try some after I use the Stihl I bought with my last blower. (The dealer doubled the length of the warranty on the blower if I bought a 6 pack of the Stihl oil to go with it.)
Thank ye kindly! Stan
I order right from Amsoil's website. Or you can use the dealer locator. Amsoil only sells through independent dealers(people), no big box stores. Classic pyramid scam...
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-12-2013, 02:13 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,557
Hi Stan,
I buy from a local auto parts store that sells it. I used Amsoil's dealer locator that GMLC mentioned, and found I had several dealers nearby selling from their homes. I just happened to stop at the AP store to look for something else, and saw the Amsoil Saber sitting on the shelf. Same price as the smaller guys selling from their homes, and I don't have to drive near as far since the AP is less than a mile from me. I pay around $10.50 p/quart, but it may have gone up since I last stocked up last year. Still a far cry cheaper the HP Ultra (which I do like).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G
I can also tell by looking back to see how they're hanging and often reach back and feel them to see how firm they are.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-12-2013, 02:28 PM
StanWilhite StanWilhite is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Decatur AL
Posts: 1,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I order right from Amsoil's website. Or you can use the dealer locator. Amsoil only sells through independent dealers(people), no big box stores. Classic pyramid scam...
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Hi Stan,
I buy from a local auto parts store that sells it. I used Amsoil's dealer locator that GMLC mentioned, and found I had several dealers nearby selling from their homes. I just happened to stop at the AP store to look for something else, and saw the Amsoil Saber sitting on the shelf. Same price as the smaller guys selling from their homes, and I don't have to drive near as far since the AP is less than a mile from me. I pay around $10.50 p/quart, but it may have gone up since I last stocked up last year. Still a far cry cheaper the HP Ultra (which I do like).
Thanks guys, I'm gonna try the 100/1 mix, even tho I'm "old school" and that ratio make me a little nervous. I'll just have to try to keep my "nads" crossed!
Have a good one!
__________________
Shut 'er down Buford....she's slangin' oil !!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:24 PM.

Page generated in 0.07544 seconds with 7 queries