Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-16-2013, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Im not 100% sure but I believe the stabilizers help with the ethanol problems.
Posted via Mobile Device
Gas will go bad over time and then there is the elhanol issue, pre-detonation and water.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELS Landscape View Post
Gas will go bad over time and then there is the elhanol issue, pre-detonation and water.
If E-10 gas has water in it you will know it. It is very visible and will be seen as bubbles at the bottom of a tank of gas. It's called Phase Separation. I've never just had it happen. I have added water to E-10 before just to see what would happen.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
If E-10 gas has water in it you will know it. It is very visible and will be seen as bubbles at the bottom of a tank of gas. It's called Phase Separation. I've never just had it happen. I have added water to E-10 before just to see what would happen.
I think phase seperation is just one of the many issues older engines and small engines can have with E-10 or higher. I heard from a dealer and I suspect it is true, that many times the ratio will exceed 10% by a few percentage points. For newer cars that is not an issue.

The pre-detonation issue is why the small engine mfg's want us to run 89 octane or higher.

The Ethanol will also absorb water, this is why the small engine mfg's say to store the fuel in a vent free can.

I know that I have seen some minor carb problems and rough idle at low speeds. Sludge in the bottom of the tanks and the fuel filter pick up.

Edit - To summarize we used to just worry about VOC's gassing off and changing gas into varnish and gum up the fuel system. Now we have to worry about the ethanol pulling water from the air too.

Last edited by ELS Landscape; 02-16-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Ethanol will pull in moisture, separate from the fuel and can be corrosive to certain rubbers and metals. Like I said I believe stabilizers help combat this as well as keep gas fresh.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2013, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've been using hp ultra ever since I started buying stihl handhelds just figured they knew what worked best for their equip, I just bought a quart of amsoil sabre and will start running at 100/1 ratio sounds like it's safe and definitely more economical, guess I'll find out. I run non ethanol in all the mowers and handhelds, it's getting expensive though.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.goldeagle.com/products/product01A7.aspx I Was looking at this and thinking of trying it and it is cost less .And said it has More than FOUR TIMES the Fuel System Cleaner than in Regular STA-BIL®brand

I use only non-Ethanol gas. I pay more and go out of my way to get it.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyflyboy30 View Post
http://www.goldeagle.com/products/product01A7.aspx I Was looking at this and thinking of trying it and it is cost less .And said it has More than FOUR TIMES the Fuel System Cleaner than in Regular STA-BIL®brand

I use only non-Ethanol gas. I pay more and go out of my way to get it.
One is 5% and the other is 20%. What those are who knows likely some sort of paint thinner.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Amsoil at 100:1 is not a very good idea IMHO. I could provide a link to another site where a very respected chainsaw builder shows detailed pics of a chainsaw that "grenaded" due to insufficient lube. It was running Amsoil Sabre at 80:1. Ran great for about 12 tanks of fuel. Granted this was a woods ported saw, not bone stock.

I'm not going to engage in the flack this will likely bring from Amsoil loyalist. My expensive 2-strokes will no longer see 50:1. Going back to 40:1. Before anyone doubts, the saw builder in question is highly respected, and at the top of his game.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-05-2013, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
Amsoil at 100:1 is not a very good idea IMHO. I could provide a link to another site where a very respected chainsaw builder shows detailed pics of a chainsaw that "grenaded" due to insufficient lube. It was running Amsoil Sabre at 80:1. Ran great for about 12 tanks of fuel. Granted this was a woods ported saw, not bone stock.

I'm not going to engage in the flack this will likely bring from Amsoil loyalist. My expensive 2-strokes will no longer see 50:1. Going back to 40:1. Before anyone doubts, the saw builder in question is highly respected, and at the top of his game.
Posted via Mobile Device
I know the saw builder you are talking about and he's good.

However, I do not believe there's any reason to go to 40:1 unless he's built your saw to the specs he does them at, and even then I'm not sure it's really necessary to do.

These tools are all rated by their manu's at 50:1 with appropriate oils. I have been running Saber at 80:1 for two full seasons with zero problems, but this fall I decided to do some informal testing, so I ran my blowers at 80:1 and then right after that at 50:1. They were definitely quieter and smoother sounding/running at 50:1. I will be going back to 50:1 from here on out even though I have had no problems yet as stated. Better safe than sorry with the more expensive tools, and especially so with my pro saws.

I won't argue with anyone who runs at 80 or even 100:1 though. Most guys just replace a tool when it gives out, but my saws are way too expensive for doing that, and are pre strato engines to boot.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been doing 50:1 with Echo power blend primarily for a decade plus. My saws will be getting 40:1. S
Posted via Mobile Device