Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-05-2013, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I just can't tolerate the extra exhaust smoke that comes from going below 50:1 when cutting in thick brush, or trees that are still heavily leaved out that have been cut, or blown down.

I will be sticking with Saber, just at 50:1 for everything instead of having one mix for my saws and one for my other stuff.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Your going to find opinions, pics, stories, etc all over the internet. There are to many variables with 2 cycles that can cause what seems like oil related problems. Fact is Amsoil will replace any equipment that has failed due to oil related problems when running Sabre 100:1. I run all my equipment at 100:1 including my Stihl 260 Pro. Every piece of my equipment gets run hard all day long and every piece still looks brand new inside. I was a master auto tech for 12 plus years and raced 2 cycle motorcycles for even longer. We were running ratios as low as 15:1. I fought 100:1 for many many years and even on this very site. I decided to make the switch to 100:1 reluctantly 2 seasons ago with all the equipment I make my living with. Im now a beliver the Sabre at 100:1 is the real deal and protects as good as others at 50:1. Sabre has been tested up to 300:1 safely by Amsoil. Now that is a test you wont find all over the net!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-05-2013, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

My question for any high performance engine builder, especially 2 cycles, is why did he get to the point of destroying a very expensive piece of equipment? Most experienced builders do multiple plug checks to see how an engine is running, look through the ports to check for scoring and can feel when something isnt right when in tune with the engine. I know I do all these things and I have been out of the performance engine building game for years. Im not saying this guy isnt good but there are just to many variables to take his word as the end all be all on Sabre at 100:1. Way more success stories than failures IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-05-2013, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The guy is a member of this site and of Arbor site GMLC. He's got a very good reputation among loggers and arborists, and a ton of clientel.

I'll see if I can find a link to his youtube channel for ya.

Here ya go-

http://www.youtube.com/user/blsnelling
Old 12-05-2013, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
The guy is a member of this site and of Arbor site GMLC. He's got a very good reputation among loggers and arborists, and a ton of clientel.

I'll see if I can find a link to his youtube channel for ya.
Im sure he is really good. Just saying that as an experienced builder myself, I wouldnt have let my equipment get to the point of damage. Unless money is no object, in the racing world we would try to test before the race and sometimes during. A simple plug check or even pulling the top end would have shown a problem before the point of destroying an expensive performance engine. We have changed out pistons and rings in the pit between races before. The bottom end is very expensive in 2 cycles, especially multiple cylinder 2 cycle motorcycle engines. Just to many variables we dont know about. A vacuum leak will kill any 2 cycles in a hurry at any ratio...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-05-2013, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Uh, how is the builder held accountable for the end users tuning and fuel mix? The builder claim (that I support) is that 50:1 has more to do with the EPA then any perceived engine longevity. The builder wants 32:1 Belray h1r.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-05-2013, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
Uh, how is the builder held accountable for the end users tuning and fuel mix? The builder claim (that I support) is that 50:1 has more to do with the EPA then any perceived engine longevity. The builder wants 32:1 Belray h1r.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well, I do know this, if I run any heavier than 40:1, I have a lot less power, and a lot more smoke. I also have to keep a constant, and I mean constant, eye on the screen, plug and port. If I were racing a hot saw, that would be no big deal, but it's too time consuming to do for this industry, and I don't like the lower power issue either.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I started using the shindaiwa red armor oil this year , at a 50:1 because the dealer I use said its the best that he could recommend , before I was using the stihl in the orange bottles and my trimmers were getting all clogged up etc , one was so bad the motor seized and had to be taken apart , so far good results from the red armor , does anyone else use this oil and how does it compare to the others you guys are talking about? Should I run more than 50:1 ? Other than cost savings what will running higher than 50:1 do for the equipment?
Old 12-05-2013, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
When building an engine, any engine, 2 cycles especially have to be jetted for the correct fuel mixture. Temp., attitude, modifications all have to be taken into account. The builder will jet an engine based on many things. Most end users have no clue how to check for the correct air/fuel mixture nevermind rejet an engine. When Stihl builds a saw its jetted for the region its to be sold in. A good dealer can tune it to be even better for its specific area. In my experience Saber at 100:1 has just as much protection, or more, than any other oil. I will be the first to say otherwise if anything changes. My equipment gets run 200 or so hours per year so after two seasons of no problems Im confident I wont.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-05-2013, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No matter how you tune any 2-stroke, changing mix ratio, especially from 32:1 to the end users 80:1, is going to require adjusting the carb. At least in a non M-tronic or Auto-tune type carb.

Granted, when you start bumping up compression, and working over transfer ports, lubrication requirements change.

I should also add that in this case the builder is sharing the cost (providing the new bottom end and labor) in a situation that few think he's accountable for. Stand up guy. Guy that cooked it is springing for the top end. More than fair I think.
Posted via Mobile Device