Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-11-2013, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Kawasaki FH680V Governor Help!

Hello All,
I have a Hustler 60" mower fitted with a Kawasaki FH680V CS20 engine. Recently, the carburetor jet valve finally reached its breaking point. This allowed fuel to enter the cylinders overnight where it eventually seeped into the crankcase and ruined the oil. Because of the overflow, it blew the lower main seal. In removing the crankcase cover to replace the seals and gaskets, I've run into some trouble with that governor assembly. Fortunately this engine has a metal camshaft instead of the infamous plactic gears. However I can't for the life of me get the governor forks to fit properly onto the camshaft governor assembly. Does anyone know of a trick to assembling this puppy? I've been trying everything I can think of to get it in and I just cant figure it out. Any advice/ ideas will be helpful.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-11-2013, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

When installing the pan to the engine block, make sure that you hold the governor arm and turn the governor arm clockwise to hold it in position over the camshaft/thrust washer until you have the pan installed--in other words, make sure the governor arm fork will slip down and engage the washer at installation. You can usually tell how far in or out(of the pan) the governor arm needs to be by noting the wear area on the governor arm.

As I understand your question, this is the problem you're experiencing. If I'm incorrect in the clockwise position of the governor arm, the big boys will jump right in to correct me.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

http://www.parish-supply.com/documents/574.pdf
Old 02-11-2013, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Member

If you are looking at the seal side of cover

you turn it clockwise. But you will not get the cover to go on until you loosen the rockers under the valve cover to release pressure from the valves to the cam. The cam moves when the valves push on it. Once you release the cam so it moves freely then you can put the cover on. You have to move the cover turning it left and right to get the gears to align w the oil pump. Then it will drop down and make sure the cam is in position then you line up your dowels. you might have to spin the crank to get it to go all the way down. never beat it on.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Good follow up on the cam alignment/valve pressure on cam, TJ. It's been a while since this old man has had one torn down.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Everyone! I was under the impression that the forks had to go between the thrust washer and the plate that holds the steel balls in place. I realize now that the governor arm spring is responsible for keeping the forks up against the bottom side of that washer. Also, it was definitely helpful to remove the valve rockers to take tension off the cam. I had already done that but its good to know that someone else out there recognizes that this actually helps save time even though it seems like extra work. Thanks again, for the tips and the quick responses! All were very helpful.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Washer sets flat against cam and forks between

Washer sets flat against cam and forks between washer on cam and the cover, not between cam and washer
Old 02-11-2013, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckjohn View Post
Washer sets flat against cam and forks between washer on cam and the cover, not between cam and washer
Right. That's what I was originally confused about. I now have the forks between the washer and the cover.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Which way should the Governor plate be installed ? The service manual shows it one and the parts manual the other. Or do I have a perception problem in my brain
Attached Images

2 52" Hustler Z's
Every thing Sithl
21" Snapper Commercial
6 x 15 Enclosed FreedomTrailer
97 C1500
Licensed and Insured

The more toys the better
Old 04-02-2014, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Could you tell me the proper procedure to install the external lever onto the governor shaft?

Tags
camshaft , governor , kawasaki