Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-02-2014, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Requiring Credit Card number on file

Over the years I've read that many of you require that a customer have a Credit Card on file with you. The reason being that you can go ahead and charge the customer in a timely manner if they don't send you your check within a reasonable amount of time. Over the last 25 years in business I've been lucky that I've only had a couple of deadbeats and slow payers. However, I now have one account that over the last 2 years has let their account become past due over 10 times. I know many of you will say " why do you still keep this account?". The reason is because it's a beautiful property that is somewhat of a advertisement for my service. It's also in an upscale neighborhood and I'd like to stay visable there. I recently got a "Square" card reader to take CC's and Debit cards but have not used it yet. My question is: how do I set up something like this so that if the customoer doesn't make payment by the due date, I can process the CC and get my money?
http://www.klawns.com
Old 01-02-2014, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I think this is a great idea in theory. How many days late are they?

Iím dealing with a late payer with a substantial balance. It is my fault for letting it slide due to many spinning plates dealing with personal and family issues. 50/50 they will pay up before Spring. Time will tell.

What do you do if the CC # has been changed as in if the card was lost or there was a fraud issue. How do you verify the CC #ís on file as being valid...?
Old 01-02-2014, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Subscribed. I am interested in knowing how much it will cost for one customer. As the OP, I too am interested in dealing with one customer this way.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I sometimes have to wait over 60 days for payment. This is a residential account and the people are often out of the country. They're well off and I feel like they're too busy to be bothered with paying the old lawn guy.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerman90 View Post
I sometimes have to wait over 60 days for payment. This is a residential account and the people are often out of the country. They're well off and I feel like they're too busy to be bothered with paying the old lawn guy.
If they reliably pay...even if 45-60 days out I would not sweat as a solo op. These folks just might be good candidates for a prepay plan. Just a thought.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-02-2014, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I hear what you're saying Roto but the principal of the matter just bothers me to no end
Old 01-03-2014, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Required cc on file for over 10 years with little problem. Its so much easier than processing loads kf checks and waiting for payment.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

all i know is you just can't keep cards in a spreadsheet on your computer. I'd look into bluepay or paysimple.com. This is the route i'm trying to go this year as well. I switched to service autopilot and using bluepay to process cards.. I like how sap will process cards at the end of day for customers who authorized it. Won't know how it works until i get somebody who goes for it.. Not expecting it to be to popular though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerman90 View Post
Over the years I've that many of you require that a customer have a Credit Card on file with yopayu. The reason being that you can go ahead and charge the customer in a timely manner if they don't send you your check within a reasonable amount of time. Over the last 25 years in business I've been lucky that I've only had a couple of deadbeats and slow payers. However, I now have one account that over the last 2 years has let their account become past due over 10 times. I know many of you will say " why do you still keep this account?". The reason is because it's a beautiful property that is somewhat of a advertisement for my service. It's also in an upscale neighborhood and I'd like to stay visable there. I recently got a "Square" card reader to take CC's and Debit cards but have not used it yet. My question is: how do I set up something like this so that if the customoer doesn't make payment by the due date, I can process the CC and get my money?
Old 01-03-2014, 06:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i keep cards on file. When the sign up for my weed control and fert program i get their card. "oh but i don't have a card" ok, ill call u the day before the job and you can leave a check. No check no service. tired of getting screwed
Old 01-03-2014, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
If they reliably pay...even if 45-60 days out I would not sweat as a solo op. These folks just might be good candidates for a prepay plan. Just a thought.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree. I have one that is always late. I always have to remind them. With that said they still always pay.

Does anyone know if you can set up automatic payments through square or paypal?