Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-05-2003, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

QB Pro power users, unit cost vs sales $

I'm having a real problem comprehending what I can or can't do with the price of items.

The help file makes it sound like you can enter a unit cost and a sale price when you set up and item. Sounds like it makes no difference whether you use inventory or non-inventory parts on your item list.

I see how I can "change prices" by editing the price of the item or by go through the "change price" routine where I can select multiple items and change the price by $$ or %.

No where can I find where both a price I pay for an item AND a sales price can be entered.

In the preferences fro sales and customers there is a field where you can enter a default mark up %. Thats fine. Where the heck is the unit cost of the item and the resulting sales price.
Old 02-06-2003, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

and the answer is

When you edit the item there is a check box under item name/number. Beside it says this item is purchased and sold for a specific customer/job.

Pretty obscure and confusing if you ask me but when you click the box it opens a new screen whre you can enter what you pay, who you buy from, expense account for the item, sales account for the item etc.

The terminology and QB help on finding this was terrible.

So now you can do job costing.
Old 02-06-2003, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

QB pro isn't very good for job costing. It's a pain. I just got the contractors edition demo in the mail today I'm going to see if it is any better.

what I do is when you are in the write checks window and I just got some mulch for 2 customers. In journal entry section at the bottom, there is a Customer:Job field. If you enter the cutomer names it keeps track of it that way. Of course you have to make a different entry for each cutomer.