Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-11-2013, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kohler 22HP knocking noise

This rebuilt Kohler 22 HP has approximately 50 hrs and ran flawless all summer long last year. I warmed the engine up to change the oil and filter,restarted and it ran fine. Today I did some rewiring and started it up but now has a loud knocking sound,pulled the V/C's and found no bent P/R's and the lifters do seem to be pumping up as there was no excessive play in the R/A's. Has anyone ever run into this situation just by changing the oil or am I looking at reopening this engine again?
Old 02-11-2013, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Did you use the correct oil filter..??
Are you sure you don't have a bad hydro idler pulley or a chunk out of the belt..??
Is it a horizontal engine.???

Describing noises on the internet can be a challenge....
Knocks...ticks...clacks...clunks..etc....
Old 02-11-2013, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kohler filter and it's belt drive. It's has a rough exhaust pulse at idle and slightly higher RPM. Both plugs are firing. Is there a oil pressure tap on the block? Vertical.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
Knocks...ticks...clacks...clunks..etc....

Your slip'n Slapper...... You left out the most important one...... Rattle !

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 02-11-2013, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If it ran ok after the oil change and then didn't after the wiring, maybe the wiring is the cause. What did you rewire?
Old 02-12-2013, 06:59 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Without knowing the nature of the electrical work you perfomed...here's a guess...
The only electrical repairs that I can think of that can give you a knock are...

While replacing the stator...the flywheel magnets came loose..making the flywheel out of balance..

While replacing the clutch..the bracket that keeps the clutch assy from spinning with the engine ...wasn't tightened and came loose..
The clutch is banging against everything it can reach...

This stuff is easier to diagnose with mower and engine numbers....
Old 02-12-2013, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
Without knowing the nature of the electrical work you perfomed...here's a guess...
The only electrical repairs that I can think of that can give you a knock are...

While replacing the stator...the flywheel magnets came loose..making the flywheel out of balance..

While replacing the clutch..the bracket that keeps the clutch assy from spinning with the engine ...wasn't tightened and came loose..
The clutch is banging against everything it can reach...

This stuff is easier to diagnose with mower and engine numbers....
It's not electrical. One of the lifers on the #1 bank won't pump up.Got another good use one and same thing,ran it a few minutes and nothing.
I read all the horror stories of these commands with lifter pumping issues,so now I can officially call these command engines APOS Can't believe I dumped all this money in getting it rebuilt but now I know better and will be replacing it with a vanguard. What's the going price for used 22 command with lifter issues?

Thank you all for giving some assistance on this matter.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper Jack View Post
It's not electrical. One of the lifers on the #1 bank won't pump up.Got another good use one and same thing,ran it a few minutes and nothing.
I read all the horror stories of these commands with lifter pumping issues,so now I can officially call these command engines APOS Can't believe I dumped all this money in getting it rebuilt but now I know better and will be replacing it with a vanguard. What's the going price for used 22 command with lifter issues?

So the noise is more of a tick, as in valve lifter. Try this before you do anything dramatic. pour 3 cap fulls of seafoam in the oil and run it as normal. The seafoam may break up the build up and free the lifter. Worked for me.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper Jack View Post

Who rebuilt the engine.???....did they charge you for new lifters.??
You have the first lifter that caused an engine to KNOCK....they tick and click..but never KNOCK..
You don't have a Kohler problem...just a problem with the guy that doesn't know how to rebuild a Command Twin...
Old 02-12-2013, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Darn amatures