Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-12-2013, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

There is a reason why thousands of pretty smart guys... called technicians.... go to schools year after year.....
The main reason is so that they don't make bonehead mistakes when working inside engines...
On some of the early Command Twin engine blocks...there was an issue with an air pocket forming in the area that feeds the #1 intake lifter..
There is an update kit that solves this problem.....

You will never learn anything ....until you admit that you don't know it all....
Old 02-12-2013, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

In my opinion rebuilt engines are a waist of money. You pay as much as $1100
For a rebuilt kohler 20hp. You can get that engine $1600. Bottom line that rebuilt will never last as long as new engine don't you agree with me.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesimoes2 View Post
For a rebuilt kohler 20hp. You can get that engine $1600. Bottom line that rebuilt will never last as long as new engine don't you agree with me.
In my opinion...you have never been inside the classroom that taught small engine repair..
The bottom line ........
Old 02-12-2013, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Date of Application Company Name Company Address
City State - Fax Number ( )
Home Address
State Zip Telephone No.( ) -
Zip
Business Telephone Number ( )
Name of Applicant
City
Years of Industry Experience (Minimum 1 Year)
-
Expert Dealer
Authorized Dealer Certified Technician Specialized Dealer Other
A check, money order, or credit card must be received with the application to reserve a place in the class. Class fees include the following:
• Lodging (if needed) Sunday evening through Friday morning. Long distance calls, and any in-room services are additional and will be payable to the hotel/ motel upon checkout.
You will be contacted with the school date choice(s) you have been accepted into once payment and registration are complete.
Make checks payable to “Kohler Co.” Make sure to reference “Factory School” and the month chosen in the memo section.
For credit card payment please fill out the following
• Lunch and Breakfast, Monday through Thursday.
• Transportation to and from classroom.
• Instructional materials.
• Thursday evening Awards banquet.
• Framed diploma and uniform patches.
information:
Check One: Master Card Visa Discover Express
Name:
(Please print as it appears on credit card): Account Number:
American
Old 02-12-2013, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
No I don't agree with you...and neither do the over 200 customers I have built engines for..
My rebuilt engines last 2000 to 3000 hours...and have had many reach 4500 hours...
I have 1 customer that brings me every new mower he purchases...and has me disassemble the engine...carefully inspect and fine tune the internal engine parts...realign the crosshatches.for maximum compression and minimal ring wear...and then. Reassemble the engine..

If you knew how to properly rebuild an engine...you wouldn't have to spend $1100. Or whatever...
You could rebuild it for the price of the parts....
Old 02-12-2013, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If you can rebuild an engine and make it last 4500 hours. You can teach the kohler mechanical engineers a thing or two

Except for they water cooled engine. ask here on lawnsite how many guys have had their kohlers reach 4500 hours.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
There is a reason why thousands of pretty smart guys... called technicians.... go to schools year after year.....
The main reason is so that they don't make bonehead mistakes when working inside engines...
On some of the early Command Twin engine blocks...there was an issue with an air pocket forming in the area that feeds the #1 intake lifter..
There is an update kit that solves this problem.....

You will never learn anything ....until you admit that you don't know it all....
This so called bone head bought a Kohler short block and having 35plus years building engines does have some what of an level headed educated back ground of refurbishing complete engines, along with the existing heads and a updated kit was installed for the lifters of which I searched past threads,thanks to Richard Martin for bringing the subject up from his past experience with the Kohler engine. There's plenty of oil finding it's way to the lifter feeding galleries,lifters just refuse to pump up. This engine was running flawlessly until I changed the filter and oil and replaced with factory filter and oil.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:47 AM
LawnSite Member

From what I see Restrorob & piston slapper know just what they are talking about.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
If you can rebuild an engine and make it last 4500 hours. You can teach the kohler mechanical engineers a thing or two

Except for they water cooled engine. ask here on lawnsite how many guys have had their kohlers reach 4500 hours.
There is a great big world out there beyond the walls of this site..

You still dont get it...Getting 4500 hrs from a new or rebuilt engine has more to do with the guy operating and sevicing the engine...than the company that built it...

I doubt I could teach much to the engineers at Kohler...they are pretty sharp..
The only difference is... they are building a production engine...and I build a handbuilt engine...
There arent too many engineers working on the assembly line...
Old 02-13-2013, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper Jack View Post
This so called bone head bought a Kohler short block and having 35plus years building engines does have some what of an level headed educated back ground of refurbishing complete engines, along with the existing heads and a updated kit was installed for the lifters of which I searched past threads,thanks to Richard Martin for bringing the subject up from his past experience with the Kohler engine. There's plenty of oil finding it's way to the lifter feeding galleries,lifters just refuse to pump up. This engine was running flawlessly until I changed the filter and oil and replaced with factory filter and oil.
Confusing ability with experience usually ends up with a frustrated mechanic..

If you have more than 1 lifter (intake #1) making noise..its not a lifter problem..
Check your oil pressure..sounds like the welch plug or the pickup tube fell out of the oilpump..
If you have about 4 psi oil pressure..thats probably what happened..the pump will pump a good volume of oil...but you dont have enough oil pressure to pump oil into the hydralic lifters..
you should be able to remove the oil sender and install your oil pressure gauge there..

If for some reason the lifters are just plain bad...stranger things have happened...
You can use : MELLING JB817 lifters...accept no substitute..all the other automotive lifters I have tried were a waste of time...