Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-13-2013, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
Confusing ability with experience usually ends up with a frustrated mechanic..

If you have more than 1 lifter (intake #1) making noise..its not a lifter problem..
Check your oil pressure..sounds like the welch plug or the pickup tube fell out of the oilpump..
If you have about 4 psi oil pressure..thats probably what happened..the pump will pump a good volume of oil...but you dont have enough oil pressure to pump oil into the hydralic lifters..
you should be able to remove the oil sender and install your oil pressure gauge there..

If for some reason the lifters are just plain bad...stranger things have happened...
You can use : MELLING JB817 lifters...accept no substitute..all the other automotive lifters I have tried were a waste of time...
Frustrated? no just pissed that this has happened with mowing season just around the corner. Only the top lifter refuses to pump up and only on the #1 side,no# 2 has no issues. Some how has you said,there's an airlock, as this engine ran fine before and after for twenty minutes and next day oil problems.
If I am able to get this all sorted out,a mechanical( Solid) cam will be replacing this hydraulic cam this coming winter.

If oil pressure is good,I'll attempt to prime that #1 bank and thanks for the tip on the MELLING lifters
Old 02-13-2013, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I see a few things wrong with this thread, This was asked early on;

Quote:
This stuff is easier to diagnose with mower and engine numbers....
And still no numbers posted, READ the sticky above this section people and others can respond with better info !!!

Next..... The engine was "rebuilt" and now it is a replacement "shortblock"......

Engines can be just like tires, Aired up then flat seconds later.....Maybe coincident it started making noise after the oil change..... Who knows ???

If this was a new shortblock install, Does anyone know if adding the breather kit to the new updated block is causing a issue ? I've never been "boneheaded" enough to install one of these kits in the new style block......

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 02-13-2013, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn co View Post
From what I see Restrorob & piston slapper know just what they are talking about.
You know....you might just be on to something.....
Old 02-13-2013, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey Piston Slapper I have two kholers that I'm thinking on rebuilding. Parts I'm looking at around $550 the problem is I never get no more than around 1000 hours on the rebuild. But I was thinking you said your rebuilts can go from 3 to 4. Thousand hours.if I drop the engine at your shop how much you charge for your services.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesimoes2 View Post
Hey Piston Slapper I have two kholers that I'm thinking on rebuilding. Parts I'm looking at around $550 the problem is I never get no more than around 1000 hours on the rebuild. But I was thinking you said your rebuilts can go from 3 to 4. Thousand hours.if I drop the engine at your shop how much you charge for your services.
HaaaaaaaHaaaaaaa....
I pick and choose my customers....next.....
I have never done or solicited work on this or any website...and probably never will..
The last thing I need is for someone to take apart one of my engines...and learn all my secrets..
Old 02-13-2013, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

What do you want to be when you grow up? If you answered, "mechanic," you're in the minority. But that could be a good thing for your chances of getting a job. As USA Today points out, a shortage of mechanics and an increase in the complexity of today's lawn mowers means there's big demand for wrenchers.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
HaaaaaaaHaaaaaaa....
I pick and choose my customers....next.....
I don't care who ya are...... That right there is

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesimoes2 View Post
As USA Today points out, a shortage of mechanics and an increase in the complexity of today's lawn mowers means there's big demand for wrenchers.
That couldn't be further from the truth, Anyone with a set of harbor freight wrenches and stanley screwdrivers can be a wanna be parts changing "mechanic"...... The shortage is in "Service Technicians"...... That's right, The ones that have to go behind "mechanics" and sort their mess out.....

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 02-13-2013, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
I see a few things wrong with this thread, This was asked early on;

And still no numbers posted, READ the sticky above this section people and others can respond with better info !!!

Next..... The engine was "rebuilt" and now it is a replacement "shortblock"......

Engines can be just like tires, Aired up then flat seconds later.....Maybe coincident it started making noise after the oil change..... Who knows ???

If this was a new shortblock install, Does anyone know if adding the breather kit to the new updated block is causing a issue ? I've never been "boneheaded" enough to install one of these kits in the new style block......

Regarding the new short block I purchased, I bought it from a gentleman who had it built years ago to keep in stock and I bought at a decent price but disassembled the SB to assure myself that indeed it was built using genuine kohler parts and all was good. So yes, this bonehead did in fact install a up dated kit to resolve the air locking issues #24-755-135S on this particular block and it worked out till now. The HP rating was posted earlier, highly doubtful Kohler produced it in a single or the K-block which would leave only the V-twin but I can see where there might be some confusion ,my bad.
The oil pressure readings at idle where 40 lbs and 45 lbs F/T,so'I'll be purchasing some lifters and go from there and will never return to this section of the forum for assistance.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

RestroRob...you know me as good as anyone on this site...
I don't get along with people as well as I do with engines..and I'm Ok with that..
That character flaw has enabled me to become one of the best in what I do...
Trust Me...if I don't like or respect a prospective customer...it ain't gonna get fixed..
It took years of hard work and more than my share of eating crow...to earn this respective position...
If you want to talk tech....you've come to the right place..
If you want to trash techs...Bring Your A Game...
Old 02-13-2013, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
No I don't agree with you...and neither do the over 200 customers I have built engines for..
My rebuilt engines last 2000 to 3000 hours...and have had many reach 4500 hours...
I have 1 customer that brings me every new mower he purchases...and has me disassemble the engine...carefully inspect and fine tune the internal engine parts...realign the crosshatches.for maximum compression and minimal ring wear...and then. Reassemble the engine..

If you knew how to properly rebuild an engine...you wouldn't have to spend $1100. Or whatever...
You could rebuild it for the price of the parts....
The key with rebuiding engines comes from knowledge not just blind parts changing. Top builders refer to this as balancing and blueprinting. Removing all the minute flaws that come mass production. Smoothing and improving oil flow. Tightening tolerances to their closest range. Using improved materials where you can. Ovekill? Only in some peoples books. I take personal pride in assembling the finest product available. Anybody can swap factory or mass repops. Not my gig. I do all my own work and even a little for guys that know me. Doesn't matter if its old auto iron or a defunct specialty engine. Mechanics is my therapy these days.
Posted via Mobile Device