Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-13-2013, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper Jack View Post
The HP rating was posted earlier, highly doubtful Kohler produced it in a single or the K-block which would leave only the V-twin but I can see where there might be some confusion ,my bad.

OK Mr Jack..... Now we have a OLD rebuilt shortblock, The more information anyone can provide helps US help YOU ...... That includes any numbers when requested, Besides it's you asking for help not us.....

Here's some information for you-all...... A engine SPEC number and SERIAL number tells us.....in the know..... all sorts of info about the engine in question, Remember.....We can't SEE- TOUCH or HEAR this engine. Most all support documentation is filed under SPEC and SERIAL numbers, Sooo.....HP rating doesn't mean nothing in some cases, That's why numbers are requested......

Hopefully a new set of lifters will solve your issue......

Good Luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 02-14-2013, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
The key with rebuiding engines comes from knowledge not just blind parts changing. Top builders refer to this as balancing and blueprinting. Removing all the minute flaws that come mass production. Smoothing and improving oil flow. Tightening tolerances to their closest range. Using improved materials where you can. Ovekill? Only in some peoples books. I take personal pride in assembling the finest product available. Anybody can swap factory or mass repops. Not my gig. I do all my own work and even a little for guys that know me. Doesn't matter if its old auto iron or a defunct specialty engine. Mechanics is my therapy these days.
Posted via Mobile Device
You're preaching to the chior....Amen.....

I have built engines for Don Garlits engine builder..engineers from Nasa..and even have people drive in from RestroRob ville (just because they can't find him ).... All these guys are tops in their field....
They could surely do the work themselves...but they understand the limits of their abilities and would rather have someone with a thorough knowlege of small engines build it once...and build it right...

Amen ......
Old 02-14-2013, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
I see a few things wrong with this thread, This was asked early on;

If this was a new shortblock install, Does anyone know if adding the breather kit to the new updated block is causing a issue ? I've never been "boneheaded" enough to install one of these kits in the new style block......
The answer is....
The L shaped plug would not affect the oil passage on the #1 intake lifter if installed on the newer command twin verticle block..
The older blocks had the oil passage drilled higher in the block..which intermittently allowed the small air pocket that formed naturally...or from foamy oil.... in the top of the block.. to disrupt the oil flow to the lifter...
The only harm would be the waste of time and money..

RestroRob...to be perfectly honest..I haven't gotten too many engine builds from RestroRobville in the last few years...if the economy is not the problem..I must assume that my former customers have become RestroRob customers....
Unless of course...those engines are still running....
Old 02-14-2013, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
The only harm would be the waste of time and money.
Yeah.... I knew that Slapper, I was being a smart ahmm.......
Quote:
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
OK Mr Jack..... Now we have a OLD rebuilt shortblock, The more information anyone can provide helps US help YOU ...... That includes any numbers when requested, Besides it's you asking for help not us.....

Here's some information for you-all...... A engine SPEC number and SERIAL number tells us.....in the know..... all sorts of info about the engine in question, Remember.....We can't SEE- TOUCH or HEAR this engine. Most all support documentation is filed under SPEC and SERIAL numbers, Sooo.....HP rating doesn't mean nothing in some cases, That's why numbers are requested......

Hopefully a new set of lifters will solve your issue......

Good Luck!
I believe I found the problem,do you know if the gasket for the new separator plate in the up-dated kit can be purchased separately or do I have to purchase the whole kit again?
Old 02-16-2013, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

At the time this kit came out and re-designed blocks were introduced the original gasket was superseded to part # 24 0414 50-S, This will be the updated gasket and work with the kit.....
Quote:
Old 02-16-2013, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thank You! That's the gasket left over in the OH kit. I seem to have misplaced the directions in how the rubber piece is to be inserted into the oil channel,do happen to know that? This part is where my problem lies I believe,not 100% positive but close enough to be handed that "BoneHead"throphy If that does turn out to be my problem, how that lifter ran pumped up all last season is beyond me,must of been while assembling that section.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
# 24 0414 50-S

CORRECTION...... The proper number is; 24 041 50-S.....

I was typing around a 32oz cup of tea in front of my keyboard......

Do I know how the plug goes ?

Install this way;

Quote:
Old 02-16-2013, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, I tried that # had to drop the last 4. The way you have the plug insert is the way I installed it and it work great till I changed the oil and have no explanation has to why the top #1 lifter refused to pump up. After dismantling that side and turning the engine over watching for oil seepage through the feed hole,nothing happened. The only way for that top lifter to receive oil using that plug following the installation instructions would be to drop and drill a new feed channel 1/8". What I did was to reverse the installation of the plug to re-open the oil feed and channel the pressured oil along the inside the inner channel rib for the #1 bank in creating a little reservoir for the oil to remain there until restarting thus reducing the time the lifters receive's the oil in preventing the clattering.

The engine is back up and running will all lifters pumped up and clatter free.
Thank You! for your help. I'm a tea drinker myself,so cheers.

Last edited by Snapper Jack; 02-16-2013 at 10:07 PM.