Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-09-2013, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Member

learned something on advertising this year

Little background on myself, started my landscaping business senior year of high school last year. 19 years old. No college. Formed my LLC last month after I decided to pursue it full time.

Anyways.....

There was a thread here a while back about what kind of ad to place in your local newspaper.

Here are four types of advertising I am using and their results. Keep in mind, I have been asking every caller where they have seen my advertisement.

Truck magnets - display company name, simple, easy to read. I don't live in town. So not many people see it. It shows my business name to those who see it. I'm just using it to get my name out there. 0 calls

Professional looking ad in the local paper - you get the idea, says commercial and residential mowing. All types of landscaping work! Free estimates. Etc. 3 calls, none for mowing.

Sign - sign designed like my business card in a heavily traveled area of town. Its in my grandpas yard. I take care of the property for free since its free advertisement. Also do a very good job keeping the lawn looking beautiful. 1 call for a new mowing client.

Ready for this? - an ad in the work wanted section that reads "hire me for all types of yard work, mowing, cleanups, etc. Call xxx-xxx-xxxx" no name, no business name. Nothing. Has resulted in a dozen calls, landed me several new mowing clients. Various cleanup work, rock grooming jobs, etc. Etc. I wanted the impression of a fly by night kinda guy that would come out as a cheap laborer. But here is the reason it works for me.

I met with a new client earlier, an older gentleman in his 60's. He said the reason he called was because it showed aggressiveness. It said to him, hey, this is a guy that wants to work. Not just another mowing company that are a dime a dozen. Or a yard boy that won't show up. So I did a $100 clean up job and he's turning me onto the 10 acre lawn tomorrow. What really got me was when he mentioned that if my business needed any help with financing, he would help. (I don't plan on using him for that though) it just really said something.

I plan on changing it to read "Young, ambitious adult wants work for various landscaping jobs. Mowing, clean ups, tree trimming, etc. etc..... call........ for free estimate"

Seems like it would really appeal to everyone. Any thoughts? I'm almost afraid of running it. I don't want to be swamped with too much work!

The work wanted section is half the price of a normal ad the same size too!

To the younger guys in this thread - use your age to your advantage. People seeing a young man or woman hard at work wanting to make something out of their lives isn't something people see every day. They enjoy seeing the younger generation working, especially with a new business.

Feel free to contribute.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I too got zero calls from my newspaper ad this year. All my jobs so far are from word of mouth, current clients' neighbors, and by posting flyers with my card/details at the local stores and spots in the area- free advertising! I thought of doing the same you did with the work wanted section although I'm about maxed out now, and I work full time elsewhere. But nice to hear the results you got from it, I'll keep it in mind next year before I hit the newspaper ad.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-09-2013, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

very interesting. interested to see responses. good idea for a one man operation congrats!!
Old 05-09-2013, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I believe I started that thread your talking about. I did the same thing this year a nice professional ad and a small add in the work wanted that you can hardly see.
The small ad has outnumbered the professional ad about 6:1 and actually the nicest clients and lawns calls have all came from my small ad so far all the calls for the nice ad I have yet to land a job from.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I spent 700 bucks on post cards and got 1-2 weekly clients. Not recommended.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Start a Facebook page for your business as well and watch what happens.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Even if you don't go to college, wear a college shirt when passing out flyers or trying to get potential customers. People will generally assume you go to college and you're trying to pay off your student loans. You're totally right when you say to use age as an advantage. Generally, most people would like to deal with a hardworking (assuming you work hard kid rather than an older dude.

Just my opinion but if you think about it, it makes sense. Younger dudes have an advantage when it comes to advertising.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Don't judge someone by their age, I have worked 70 year olds that teenagers cannot keep up with and they have much more experience.

Sponsoring a T-Bat baseball team with your company name and phone number works very well too and is cheaper than you think.

Trade outs with small newspapers are a great idea too !