Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-12-2013, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Pro-turf. 30 lawns seems like it could be handlers by yourself or maybe just with a helper.. Just a thought. You would make a lot more money because you're going to have to find someone trustworthy enough to run your equipment and represent you. And that costs some $. I would try getting close to 100 before hiring a full time guy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2013, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Sorry, I didn't give enough information. School gets out at 3:15 I go to school in a medium sized town. and live and work 35 miles away. I have a helper now that I go to school with and we make it fine in the summer but the problem is during the spring and fall (most of my lawns take an hour to do) and last year I barely made it by with 22
Old 02-12-2013, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Y'all guys must be efficient. I have befriended a local landscaper and he runs a cab-over with 3 fit guys to mow 30 a week
Old 02-12-2013, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&Clawncare View Post
My gross profits are pretty much tax and gas/ and some money to fix the mowers. I have. 52" scag pro v. And 2 36" walk behinds. 21ft trailer. Everything is payed for including my truck. My accounts range from 8k -35k sq ft. Having accounts in the same neighborhood is crucial to cut gas usage and save time. What system to you use for fert and squirt? Jcontracting
Posted via Mobile Device
No insurance?
You'll have much more for expenses than that, everything from grease, grease guns, to tools you may end up having to buy, envelopes, postage (which adds up quick), dump fees, safety equipment. That's only the tip of the iceberg, there's much more than just fuel & maintenance.
I subbed out the spraying to a Spring Green franchise as I don't have the equipment for it. I did the granular myself with a push spreader. The funny about that is, Spring Green only uses push spreaders for granular also. But their spray setup is a tank with a pump & hose. Which I'll probably buy this year or a Perma-green brand type sprayer.

From now on, this thread will not be about gaining "xx accounts". 20 accounts that are 18 acre schools or large commercial properties are MUCH different than 20 residential properties under 8000 sq ft. If a goal is income related, post the gross dollar figure.
2014 Diamond Cargo 8.5' x 20' Enclosed Trailer - Fully Loaded Interior
Exmark Lazer Z X-Series 52" w/ Ultravac
Exmark TTHP 36"

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.

"If youíre born poor, itís not your mistake. But if you die poor, it is your mistake."
Old 02-12-2013, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Turf Lawn & Landscape View Post
Y'all guys must be efficient. I have befriended a local landscaper and he runs a cab-over with 3 fit guys to mow 30 a week
They're probably doing very large commercial properties.
2014 Diamond Cargo 8.5' x 20' Enclosed Trailer - Fully Loaded Interior
Exmark Lazer Z X-Series 52" w/ Ultravac
Exmark TTHP 36"

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.

"If youíre born poor, itís not your mistake. But if you die poor, it is your mistake."
Old 02-12-2013, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Member

No the same sized yards I do. It's all residential up here at the lake with homes 399,000 to 699,000 they must just be lazy but anyways
Old 02-12-2013, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I pay my insurance off at the beginning of the year. Sorry I forgot to include that. And yes, grease and what not and little things. Stuff adds up but not so much that I take a hit every month from it.
I plan to letter my truck this year and put out more door hangers. Best of all, word of mouth carries best.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2013, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Im 24 and this is going to be my second year really first because I didnt do any advertising last year. I get my postcards in a week 1000 i ordered from vista print. They look the same as my business cards, trying to start that branding. My goal this year is to gain 25-30 reasonable accounts and at least 10 mulch jobs or plantings and such. I am having a graphics design friend create my logo which will be done here this week hopefully, so I can get decals for my truck and trailer. I am sticking with my walk behind this year because I just dont want any credit out this year but I will have one probably this fall. We will see how it goes since I just poured my last dime into advertising.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Getibg more commercial accounts (currently working on 3 contracts, hoping to get at least one of them) and making a few more investments (hurricane blovac, ferris walkbehind, dodge ram 1500, new trailer). Also thinking about hiring another guy so i can take more time out for the business side.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2013, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'll be 23 this summer. I have between 35 and 40 accounts, including 1 church with an acre of turf and 2 acres that is an empty lot, half a dozen houses with 1/3 to 1/2 acre lawns, and the rest are between 5000 and 10000 square feet. The majority are mowing and fert/weed control accounts, though I have a few mow n go, as well as a few additional accounts that are fert/weed only. I also offer aeration, seeding, detatching etc that I push pretty heavy in the fall.

This year I would like to pick up a few more accounts and be right around 50, with the majority being full service. Plan to use the additional revenue to pay off debt, I wanna go into next winter with just a house payment. That way I can start with a clean slate in 2014, and will probably finance a Zspray and possibly another pickup in the spring.

I'm pretty well set on mowing equipment for 2 to 3 years probably. I'd like to add a 52" Stander or trade my Grasshopper in on a Lazer Z (preferably with the bad ass new EFI setup), but that will have to wait till I can pay cash for it.

Another goal is to set up a traditional IRA account, in which contributions are made with pre tax money, so you can write off up to $5,000 a year.

I need to spend more time and money on advertising and branding. Something I haven't done much of at all up till now, but I have a LOT of older customers that I'm sure will soon be downsizing or moving to a retirement community so I need to have enough advertising out there to at least bring in accounts to replace those at a bare minimum.

My picture thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=374000