Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-14-2013, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
You do it need more than ever for residential..what if you break a window in the house or car? What if you seriously damage a car with a rock? A lot of us smaller companies couldn't take that kind of hit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Your right but it's not required to have for resi like it is commercial
Old 02-14-2013, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnusskern View Post
In process of doing so.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's a good goal that you have. Do you do a lot of mulch and ground cover to gross so much? But 20k looks good for gross mowing
Old 02-14-2013, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Member

The mowing is definitely doable cause for my average yard i get about $1000 a season. I already have 10 for this season and a few more waiting to hear from. i havd not advertised yet for this season so i should end up with 15-20. The mulch will be my hard goal to accomplish i will have to do mulch for all my mowing customers and then some more. But as long as i end up with 15weekly yards for mowing i will be quite happy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-14-2013, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Looking to get 10K in profit at the end of this year, but I am a start up and figured out pricing that would allow this with not to many yards. Not lookin to pay myself alot right now, I would rather make the money and build a good reputation in my first year, while being able to upgrade equipment. 18 years old.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You guys up north have an advantage over us because of the snow. I think that gives you an advantage over starting a business in an area where there's no snow. We do have steady work through the winter from 12 month contracts but we aren't near as busy as we are other times of year.
People pay you to hold their hand. If you don't like doing it, then you are in the wrong business.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is my first year. I started 45 days ago in the middle of winter. I received my first phone call today for a service I don't even offer. Anyways, I hope to have 20 clients by the end of the mowing season. I just got lettering on my truck, I will be purchasing my equipment soon, I have my website up etc. I am excited about the future.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What's your location?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2013, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Guys, I started my business when I was 14 pulling a mower behind my bike with the trimmer and blower bungied to the mower. That was 15 years ago. The business now does many 6 figures closing on 7 this year. Back when I was your age, I remember thinking like some of you guys; 'If I get this account, then I get to buy this mower'. Best advice I can give you is to be happy with what you have. Dont lust over the shiny new equipment. Save your money. Go to college and learn BUSINESS. Then, come back and treat your organization as a business. That means systems, procedures, etc. At that point, it becomes like printing money. No joke.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's exactly it. If anyone has read "E Myth Landscape Contractor: Why most landscape companies don't work and what you can do about it". I'm about half way through it. It explains very much into detail of proper training and systems to get yourself out of tbe field to work on your business not for it. I forgot to mention that in my goals but it most likely not happen this yr. It also describes that almost every issue related to employees can be related back to training.
Efficiency, what year did you get yourself out of the field?

Also, with regards to equipment, I don't really focus on it very much, because imo, if your sole focus is working on it or what equipment and why (ie. This particular mower or skid steer) you'll never get yourself out of the field. In order to have a successful business you always need to be focussed on numbers. And not "number of accounts" because that figure is worthless. In fact, the less accounts, more acreage, is better! Less drive time and less accounting work plus less postage.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-18-2013, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just turned 21 been in the business for 4 years now. I have all brand new equipment, right now im sitting at about 50 weekly lawns my goal is to get up to 100 this season. Going really hard on advertising. Getting the enclosed lettered up, putting out tons of flyers and yard signs

2007 F-250 4x4 V10
8' Western Pro Plus Plow
2010 Haul-It tandem 6.5x14 aluminum trailer
2012 7X16 Enclosed Trailer
7X10 Dump Trailer
18 HP Billy Goat Leaf Loader
2012 SCAG Cheetah 61" 32 HP Vanguard
Accelerator grass catcher with leaf entender
Kawasaki 24" KHT600 hedge trimmers
Stihl FS 90R Trimmer with edger
Two Stihl FS 100 RX Trimmers
Stihl BG 55 blower