Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-11-2013, 08:32 PM

Lightbulb 23 Ways to Thank Your Customers

1.) Write them a hand-written thank you note. Simple, but powerful in this day and age.

2.) Thank a customer directly by name on your Facebook fan page.

3.) Give them a coupon or discount unexpectedly for an upcoming service.

4.) Highlight customers on your website - show them thanks and use as a testimonial as well.

5.) Use customer photos in your advertising.

6.) Provide customers with a related free service - if they sign up for aeration, free final season small tree pruning.

7.) Invite your customers to your shop for coffee and bagels to meet your staff.

8.) Send them a birthday card.

9.) But the family dog a treat or toy.

10.) Give a charitable gift or donation in their name.

11.) Discount one of their bills just because - on the invoice label it "VIP Discount"

12.) Send them a gift card to their favorite store, Amazon, iTunes, etc...

13.) Make their problems or concerns an immediate priority.

14.) Make great promises and keep them.

15.) Know their news - keep updated on any accomplishments of your clients and congratulate them.

16.) Take their garbage cans to the curb on garbage night.

17.) Have a mobile car wash company show up unexpectedly and wash their car.

18.) Talk to them. Sometimes customers just want to shoot the breeze for a few minutes. Engage them.

19.) Give them a pumpkin for halloween.

20.) Give them a wreath for Christmas.

21.) Offer them tickets to a sporting even or concert you know they would love to have.

22.) Give them a free bag of salt for the winter to keep by their door.

23.) Call them on the phone randomly, tell them you were just thinking about them and you want to thank them for being a client.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I like this very much...a little appreciation goes a long way.

At the end of the last season I sent all my customers a thank you card with a $5 gift card to star bucks. Nothing fancy, just thanking them for being a customer and said "Your next cup of coffee is on me."

I think this helps validate them as more of a person than just "another" customer.

Also, I wouldn't advertise or mention anything of a sales pitch in the thank you card.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

23 Ways to Thank Your Customers

I send all my clients a postcard or greeting card using this cool online tool. Saves a lot of time and is cheaper then going to the store. For my bigger clients I include a gift. (Customer favorite are the brownies.) I agree with newguy123 that a thank card should not include an advertisement.
www.sendoutcards.com/jprints is the website I use.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Great list of ideas! I definitely feel it makes a big difference to help make the customers feel appreciated and not by just doing great work for them, people seem to want/need that little extra thanks once in awhile
21" Honda
Stihl FS90R
Stihl KM130R
Husqvarna 145BT backpack blower
4HP Craftsman walk behind edger
6X12 utility trailer
Old 02-12-2013, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Alot of people revert to gift baskets and or edible arrangements but those are so tacky sean adams is right simple hand written thank you card goes a long way
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2013, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4slservices View Post
I send all my clients a postcard or greeting card using this cool online tool. Saves a lot of time and is cheaper then going to the store. For my bigger clients I include a gift. (Customer favorite are the brownies.) I agree with newguy123 that a thank card should not include an advertisement.
www.sendoutcards.com/jprints is the website I use.
I like this website. I am going to start using it.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Member

The website that I use has a really cool feature. It's an add-on. You fill out this form and hand write every letter of the alphabet and numbers. They send you back a file and when you type on the computer it's your personal handwriting. Awesome I know!
Old 02-12-2013, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The best Thank You for a customer is to make their yards look great. Retired or elderly people like to talk a little and thats cool. Every customer is different. I have a few customers that its really hard for them to leave their homes, I sometimes bring them tomatoes from my garden and that seems to brighten their day. Some customers dont want to be bothered, and I just make the yard look good.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Good customers are great! Great customers are awesome!!
I thank my lucky stars I currently have none less than good, and most are great...cuz I NOT so fondly recall my last PITA...GLAD she's out of my life.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 02-13-2013, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

thanking clients is a great thing to do and a good way to maintain clients and earn new ones by word of mouth.

but I think some of the ideas listed get a little to personal and weird in my opinion.

for a lawn service to know clients birthdays to send a card. or a random call telling the client you were thinking about them.

maybe it's just me. but I would find it a little to personal and creepy if I get a birthday card from anyone who doesn't have access to my birthday like a doctors office. I'd also be a little creeped out to get a call from my lawn guy saying he was just thinking about me. out of all the stuff he has going on during the day and he's thinking about me? weird.

maybe I just don't have that personal touch with people. I maintain as strict of a business relationship as I can. I get in, do my work and get out as quickly as possible. I keep conversations strictly business at all times. I get as little information from a client as possible. mostly just there first and last name, address and one phone number to contact them at and an email address if they have one. that's about as much as I know about my clients. I have clients I've worked for, for 7 years and I've never once met them in person.

don't get me wrong there's nothing wrong with thanking them. I send holiday cards between thanksgiving and christmas. but I think you have to watch how personal you get with clients.

Tags
lawnbusinessreport.com , sean adams , thelawnletter.com