Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-12-2013, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore.Landscaping View Post
Lots of Pool designs where there is a wall along one or more sides. Its maybe not common but that's the idea, clients don't want ideas that are 10 years old they want new ideas. This company has a few great examples http://www.houzz.com/photos/users/majesticpoolsandspas

In regards to DVS safety comment. There are hazards everywhere you look in the world. No matter how "Safe" you make something kids/irresponsible people/drunks will always find a way to get hurt. Its unfortunate that at times it can be life altering but we do what we can to protect from common injuries.

By installing a railing along the top with lockable gate access to the pool that restricts kids entering the pool area without proper supervision.

Gil - your indicated you wanted feedback.

And thusfar - all you've done is poorly justify everything.

The walls around the pool are safety hazards. And in most countys the permit department would not approve the plans. (unless they have safety rails).

We work around 40 pools a year. We had a customer who's brother died in a pool. We had a customer who's son became paralized in her pool. And we had another customer who lost a family member in a pool accident.

In the 70's or 80's they came out with national standards for how pools are designed when a diving board will go in. Such as the deep end must be so many feet long. Where previously the deep ends were shorter, people would dive off the diving board, and they would slam into the ramp that transitions the deep end into the shallow end.

As far as risks in life - I think you're smart enough to realize that I'm aware of risks.

Gilmore - do as you want. But I'm telling you - you or whoever owns the company is really creating a gigantic liability. There could be an accident 25 yrs from now, and guess who's gonna be slapped with a suit. Gate locks rust. 7 yrs later the husband is tired of fooling with a rusty lock, his kids are now teens and know how to swim, so he takes the lock off. Mom and dad go on a lovely Jamaican vacation for a week. Their 16 yr old son throws a party. Fellow classmate and swim team champion is at the party, and has had a couple beers. Next thing you know a helicopter is being dispatched and the swim team champion is taking a helicopter ride.

Not the feedback you envisioned, I know. But something you really need to think about. Safety should never be down-played. Not cute.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 02-12-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The biggest concern with a wall like that along a whole section of pool is that a swimmer can become fatigued or have a sudden onset issue (cramps, medical event) and not have any way to get out of the water in that area. What I usually do is a submerged bench along the length of the wall. You can also put in handholds that complement the wall stone, just something a swimmer can grab onto and rest a moment. Most pool tile vendors carry them.

My bigger issue is with the way that everything seems squished together. As someone else mentioned a 3' planting space is pretty tiny and sad. Are you trying to stay clear of a drainfield or something similar? If not, I'd suggest seeing what it looks like to separate things in the space a bit. A wall along one side of a pool is one thing, but have you orbited the model so you're at water level looking into the enclosed section of the pool? It looks like a smaller pool, so I have to imagine that that end of the pool is going to feel constricted.

It's also sort of a bummer that the way everything is configured the pool is all but concealed from most of the house and upper living space.

Neat concepts but there's something that's not quite singing yet for me. This will be a cool project when it's all said and done.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Some additional thoughts:

Here in Maryland, I have a business aquaintance who is in the business of building quality, high end pools. High end as in the $500k price range.

He has attended classes on pool design nationally. And he works closely with another high end pool designer from New Jersey.

I see in your photo there is a decent space in the left rear corner of the backyard (facing rear of dwelling.

With that said - one thing my buddy told me is "A well designed backyard with a pool should NEVER have the pool plopped in the center of the house, directly behind the house. Thats what everyone does. Pools should always be worked into corners, offset with the house, etc., but not centered with the house."

Gil - why not move the pool so it fits into the back portion of the left side of the backyard (facing rear of dwelling)?

That would be better architecturally, and it would be better long term.

Like I said - we work around 40 pools a year. Feel free to shoot me a private message if you're wondering what we do with these pools. Something to think about is that pools do not just get constructed and that's it. Over the years pools need repair work. And pools sustain broken drain lines (the pipe from the loewst point of the bottom of the pool). Over a year ago - the DC area sustained a slight earth quake, and yes - many pools took a hit as a result. Broken pipes. Structural damage to the walls. In the event the pool in your design needed repair work of some sort (and trust me, sooner or later it will) - the existance of the proposed wall could really make a problem.

Give some consideration to moving the pool closer to the rear corner of the back yard. I think doing so will give a whole new dimension.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

DVS, in your list of 7 RISKS, In the past I have been guilty of 1,2,3,and 7. I've since improved, sorta. (My low fuel reminder came on in the new truck this a.m.) lol Good discussion, btw.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with the maintenance portion of it for sure and skimmers and such, didn't put much consideration into that, especially any line work would be a real pain

The further you move away from the house the greater the grade difference becomes that is why I was trying to keep it closer to the house. Flipping the pool to the opposite back corner may mean I could take advantage of that slope with a vanishing edge or something cool.

The property overlooks a wetland/forest so I am hoping to keep the view out as open as possible. Moving it out would also mean it's more visible from the house.

I will play around with it some more. I didn't mean to be defensive towards your comments DVS I was trying to give more explanation to my design. I do appreciate the comments.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I played around with the design a bit...
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2013, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore.Landscaping View Post
I played around with the design a bit...
I think you are on to something there with the new design. It looks like a good use of space. Although the homeowner, like DVS said, could trip over that planting bed while suffering several heart attacks while riding in his/her custom electric wheelchair thus falling into the pool..only to experience electric shock during a massive earthquake. I would walk away. You are surly going to get sued. This project is only feasible for those who work 40 pools per year.

Tags
design , dynascape , pool design , sketch up