Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-13-2013, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

my fall pre-emergent failed.

i've been back to 2 of my properties that i treat, i have seen a little henbit and poa. for first fall pre-emergent app i did a split app of pre-m, then second treatment 6 weeks later i used the split app rate for stonewall (i just was trying to use up what i had).

I treat these 2 other yards at the same time as i do my own yard.. and my yard is clean as a whistle, i do nothing extra. can't figure this out. I used same product, same rate on my yard and the 2 others. I know that with first pre-emergent we had rain the next day,second time out no rain for a while. I remember after a few days with no rain i went and watered my lawn to make sure it would get into the soil.

We have had alot of rain this winter, i started to think mabee it is breaking down the pre-emergent faster.. and the other mistake i think i made is that i put my first pre-m app down the first week in sept, but followed up with the second 6 weeks later, which was around mid october.. so thinking i was to early with the 2nd? but like i said, my lawn is clean as a whistle and i used same products at same time (still waiting for weeds to come up here, but none yet).. all i can think is the lack of water on those other lawns could have hindered the results, one is a rental and i know for a fact they don't water, the other has irrigation system, but i know it was broken for a while..

anyways, this definetly hasn't been good for the old self esteem. lol.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Could you tell us exactly when you used the product?
Could you tell us the type of soil ie. loam, sand, clay
Could you tell us what you used?
Could you tell us what rate/K you used?
Could you tell us what weeds you are seeing?
And, could you tell us what the turf was that you were applying?

Lots of variables, but I have a good suspicion.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm seeing a LITTLE bit of henbit and poa break through on some of my properties. I think it's the rain we've been getting this year. I went around the 1st week in january and spot sprayed some of the stuff I saw when I was doing my Lime applications. I haven't seen much more break through other than that.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Clay Soil, Bermuda Grass

Sept 7 2012 I used Granular Pre-M 0.86% 5-10-20 @ 4lbs per 1,000 Sq. Ft. Product came from home depot

Oct. 19 2012 I used Granular Stonewall .43% 0-0-22 @ 4lbs per 1,000 Sq. Ft. purchased from JDL

mostly henbit, a little bit of poa.. not around the edges but towards middle. both properties in full sun, no trees.

i wouldn't say its a major weed problem in either yard, BUT bad results for sure.. can't quite figure out why I did the same on three properties and mine is the only one clean.

I'm just getting back into this kinda work after 9 years. i've only treated my own yard the past few years.. so obviously i got lots to catch up on and learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmaroad View Post
Could you tell us exactly when you used the product?
Could you tell us the type of soil ie. loam, sand, clay
Could you tell us what you used?
Could you tell us what rate/K you used?
Could you tell us what weeds you are seeing?
And, could you tell us what the turf was that you were applying?

Lots of variables, but I have a good suspicion.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just because you see a "Little" does not mean it failed. What you applied in Oct is gone and if you had any warm days like we have had there will be some germination. Every yard is different and you probably do more things right on your lawn than the customer. It is not necessarily realistic that all lawns be 100% weed free to be considered successful. Thin spots are more difficult to keep weeds free.

BTW as you know it's time for another app.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm thinking that i should have waited till early november for the second app? I know it shouldn't be 100%, however, i think the results could have been much better, and i feel like i was off with the timing possibly.. or it could be the watering issue.

i've put down dimension / speedzone / potash for round #1 this week. its been rather warmer most days so i got out there. I'm spraying this year, rather than granular pre-emergent apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
Just because you see a "Little" does not mean it failed. What you applied in Oct is gone and if you had any warm days like we have had there will be some germination. Every yard is different and you probably do more things right on your lawn than the customer. It is not necessarily realistic that all lawns be 100% weed free to be considered successful. Thin spots are more difficult to keep weeds free.

BTW as you know it's time for another app.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Just be thankful your not putting pre-em out in north florida. waste of $$$. Because of our sandy soils pre-em doesnt have a 50% kill rate on poa. Most the weeds on the label of all pre-em aren't even a problem in our region. Poa is about the only thing on label and doesn't do worth a flip.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
i'm thinking that i should have waited till early november for the second app? I know it shouldn't be 100%, however, i think the results could have been much better, and i feel like i was off with the timing possibly.. or it could be the watering issue.

i've put down dimension / speedzone / potash for round #1 this week. its been rather warmer most days so i got out there. I'm spraying this year, rather than granular pre-emergent apps.
I'm starting my first round of Dimension this week too. It's suppose to be COLD this weekend. We'll see how the weather holds out the rest of "winter"
Old 02-13-2013, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If there was breakthrough in the middle maybe your spacing was a little wide and the app was weak in that strip. For what it's worth bermuda is more difficult to keep weed free than other warm season turf. I don't use granular for weed control but I feel like you may achieve better results with liquid apps since the distribution would likely be more precise.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i felt like the apps were thorough. I have always made it a habit to throw back to my tire tracks to get some overlapping. I am hoping the liquid apps get me better results next time, but i'm unsure of what to spray in the fall. simazine has been used here alot, i think trugreen has had some issues with resistance. the JDL program i'm going off of now recommends dimension for every pre-emergent app. I doubt i'll use pendi again, its far to messy anyways, i may try barricade in the fall as i'm using dimension this spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
If there was breakthrough in the middle maybe your spacing was a little wide and the app was weak in that strip. For what it's worth bermuda is more difficult to keep weed free than other warm season turf. I don't use granular for weed control but I feel like you may achieve better results with liquid apps since the distribution would likely be more precise.