Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2013, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will tell ya what irritates the hell out of me......... that they have never jumped on the band wagon of a small truck like an s-10 with a small 3-4 cylinder diesel that gets crazy good mileage.

I know they did back in the day but Im talking present day. My grandpa had an isuzu pup (80's model) that got over 40mpg when driven like "a grandpa".

With technology today, Id be willing to bet they could produce a small 4x4 like an s-10 or ranger that was capable of over 40mpg........ They just arent going to do it.

One of my favorite vehicles as just an every day driver (not work) was my old 92 s-10 4x4 with 4.3 6 cylinder. If they could make a truck like that with small diesel that would get crazy good mileage Id be willing to bet that they couldnt make them fast enough to keep them on the lots........

Id buy one in a heartbeat!! Id rather be in a little pick up as have to be in a honda civic to get 40mpg any day.

I know that were not talking about a work truck here in this post, im just saying they can do it but just wont...... Im sure it has something to do with gov. Wouldnt surprise me a bit!!!
Old 02-18-2013, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I get what you're saying. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a trend towards the smaller diesel engines. Theres tons of little diesel stuff in Europe, but I don't think the American emission standards are to the point yet where they need to bring them over. The point is that both regular gas and diesel should not be costing what they are right now. I mean, regular gas has gone up 32 days in a row now. And Its headed towards $4/gal... sweet. Bring it down before the election, and right back up after its over, but no one seems to say much about that.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com
2014 John Deere Z920M
2011 Husqvarna 5424 ZTR
(2) Craftsman Push Mowers
Stihl trimmers
Echo Blowers
6x10 open utility trailer
6x12 Enclosed Trailer
YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

Old 02-18-2013, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorum03 View Post
I get what you're saying. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a trend towards the smaller diesel engines. Theres tons of little diesel stuff in Europe, but I don't think the American emission standards are to the point yet where they need to bring them over. The point is that both regular gas and diesel should not be costing what they are right now. I mean, regular gas has gone up 32 days in a row now. And Its headed towards $4/gal... sweet. Bring it down before the election, and right back up after its over, but no one seems to say much about that.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com
Oh Ive been talking about it since the gas went way down. I told everyone buy the hell out of it now because soon as elections over your gonna see it go right back up! What this should tell folks is that the government can do something about the gas prices as long as it benefits them....... As in Re-election....

Anyways, yeah look at the vw bug. They have a small turbo diesel in those and they get crazy mileage. If im not mistaken around 50mpg. That little motor in a small pickup and sign me up for my daily runner!!! LOL
Old 02-18-2013, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowcrazy View Post
Oh Ive been talking about it since the gas went way down. I told everyone buy the hell out of it now because soon as elections over your gonna see it go right back up!

Anyways, yeah look at the vw bug. They have a small turbo diesel in those and they get crazy mileage. If im not mistaken around 50mpg. That little motor in a small pickup and sign me up for my daily runner!!! LOL
Ok, I'll eat my words, there are a select few people out there who knew what would happen with gas prices haha but yeah those things get great mileage. If something goes wrong though... like all diesels youre talking some serious coin. Import cars might be even more expensive to fix than diesel trucks though. I had a 96 audi a4 I used as a commuter car for a year. I blew a power steering hose on in and a little import tuner shop quoted me $1200 to fix it. I bought the hose for $50 and did it myself. It was a huge ***** and I had to have a buddy of mine help me but we got it done, but the point is, its expensive if its like that.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com
2014 John Deere Z920M
2011 Husqvarna 5424 ZTR
Stihl trimmers
Echo Blowers
6x12 Enclosed Trailer
YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

Old 02-18-2013, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorum03 View Post
Ok, I'll eat my words, there are a select few people out there who knew what would happen with gas prices haha but yeah those things get great mileage. If something goes wrong though... like all diesels youre talking some serious coin. Import cars might be even more expensive to fix than diesel trucks though. I had a 96 audi a4 I used as a commuter car for a year. I blew a power steering hose on in and a little import tuner shop quoted me $1200 to fix it. I bought the hose for $50 and did it myself. It was a huge ***** and I had to have a buddy of mine help me but we got it done, but the point is, its expensive if its like that.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com
agreed!!!!!! yeah im super pissy about my powerstroke being a maintanance hog so maybe I should rethink... I guess If I could get 50mpg I could afford a little maintanance here and there....... LOL
Old 02-18-2013, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

It's true, the 5 speed jetta tdi is capable of 50mpg. Crazy. And my 2000 dodge cummins is not that expensive to fix. At least not compared to my buddy's powerstroke.
I also own a 2000 a4, and while things can be expensive for it, I have found a great private Audi/vw mechanic who does things dirt cheap somehow. I can't believe how cheap some things have been. I think you get what you pay for and just maintain everything as well as you can.
1999 F350 7.3 PSD flatbed
20' enclosed, 16' open, 14' dump
3 Walker MT 48", Toro Z500 60",
Toro proline 48", Dixon ZTR 42"
Stihl small equipment
SC licensed pesticide applicator
Old 02-18-2013, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thats good that you found someone cheap. If i had a situation like that I would have kept the car, but I sold it before it gave me anymore trouble.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com
2014 John Deere Z920M
2011 Husqvarna 5424 ZTR
Stihl trimmers
Echo Blowers
6x12 Enclosed Trailer
YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

Old 02-19-2013, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The diesel world went to hell when they mandated the ultra low sulphur which drove prices up on the fuel which is needed for the high tech fuel systems. The fuel that is wasted during regeneration doesn't help either.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2013, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The diesel VW Bugs do not get as high MPGs as the Golfs/Jettas due to aerodynamics.

Because there is less diesel in a barrel of crude means there is less of it to go around. And if the demand goes up, so does the price. Essentially, there is 2x more gasoline than diesel per barrel of crude.

Here's a link to how a barrel of crude is broken down through refining:

http://www.californiagasprices.com/crude_products.aspx
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 02-19-2013, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
The diesel VW Bugs do not get as high MPGs as the Golfs/Jettas due to aerodynamics.

Because there is less diesel in a barrel of crude means there is less of it to go around. And if the demand goes up, so does the price. Essentially, there is 2x more gasoline than diesel per barrel of crude.

Here's a link to how a barrel of crude is broken down through refining:

http://www.californiagasprices.com/crude_products.aspx
thats pretty cool info on that link!!!

Although I must say I still believe were getting ripped off either way...... Diesel and gas both were super crazy low just before election and now almost a dollar more......... I had a buddy buy one of those golfs and he loved it for fuel mileage.. Who cares if diesel is 4.20 per gallon if your getting 50mpgs right!!??? LOL