Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-14-2013, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Member

So I am a noob....

Alright guys I live in Indiana and I just passed my second of two pesticide exams. My final step is attending a two-day seminar at Purdue next month. After that I will be certified and a bit later, licensed.

A commercial account I have is about 15,000 sq ft. and I'm really excited that I have a nice account to start out with. I'll be hitting my own yard first to get it all down though, lol. So, I will be starting out using granular form with a spreader. Two questions:

1. Is it a bad idea to start a 5-step fert/herbicide application program with Scott's products? Or would it be a better idea to get another brand from my local Co-op at a better price?

2. Pricing. Now I know that the variables are endless here, but let me give an example. A 45 lb. of Turf Builder with post emergent herbicide costs around $50 and covers 15,000 sq. ft. So, it costs me $3 of product per 1000 square feet. If I charged .03 a square foot, is that too much? I would make $30 every 1000 square foot. Too expensive, about right, or too cheap?

Any help or wisdom is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 02-14-2013, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Member

No takers? Lol
Old 02-14-2013, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

First off i would call some one like Advanced turf or Agrium Advanced tech you will get better product and price and what are you going to use for weed control ?

$33.00 per th is way to high a 1/4 of that may still be to high but i am not in your area

You could most likly get a bag of fert with a pre for about $20.00

Charles Cue
Old 02-14-2013, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Member

For weed control, I was going to use the Scotts fert/herbicide combo bags...So $7 per thousand square feet? Is that what you meant by 1/4?
Old 02-14-2013, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMmmkay View Post
For weed control, I was going to use the Scotts fert/herbicide combo bags...So $7 per thousand square feet? Is that what you meant by 1/4?
Do you know that the grass has to be wet when applying dry herbicide and they don't work all that great. But you have to start some where

Yes in my thoughs $7.00 a th would be a better price

33. dived by 4 = 8.25

The best of luck to you

Charles Cue
Old 02-14-2013, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok thanks, ya I was just giving a ball park with the $7, lol. But man, how can you make money doing that for that price? Average yard is what 5,000 sq. ft. I would barely break even with the amount of gas I spent getting to the property. Seems low, but I'll see I guess. Thanks for responding!
Old 02-14-2013, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Ok thanks, ya I was just giving a ball park with the $7, lol. But man, how can you make money doing that for that price? Average yard is what 5,000 sq. ft. I would barely break even with the amount of gas I spent getting to the property. Seems low, but I'll see I guess. Thanks for responding!
You will never make money doing 1 yard a day

Most people have min price for a small yard say $40.00 now do 22 yards in a day

Now say you have 18 yards at 15 th each at $7 th that's ? well i think you will get the point

Charles Cue
Old 02-14-2013, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Haha yes I do, what was the fastest way you obtained your accounts? Would an ad in the paper only advertising applications be best? Almost have my website done, so I'm hoping a lot of traffic will be brought in soon. My goal is to get enough account this year to pay for an 100 gallon lesco tank for the back of my truck. I hope the business will boom
Old 02-14-2013, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Haha yes I do, what was the fastest way you obtained your accounts? Would an ad in the paper only advertising applications be best? Almost have my website done, so I'm hoping a lot of traffic will be brought in soon. My goal is to get enough account this year to pay for an 100 gallon lesco tank for the back of my truck. I hope the business will boom
I have done a little of every thing i can't say one thing was the best just a little here and alittle there

I don't see any thing from a web site

I did try the paper once nothing even did a raido ad a couple calls but no jobs

Charles Cue
Old 02-14-2013, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Talk to the salesman at a chemical dealer. Buy him lunch and ask a few questions. Read through all the posts from last year. Eventually you will get a better understanding of what to do and how much you should charge. Don't be surprized if its harder than you think. And don't be discouraged if you lose money. Ms. X. Perience is a great teacher. She is a beach...but her lessons stick.