Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-14-2013, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Member

next generation lazer mower deck performance

Hey guys!! Was wondering if any of you have experience with the new lazer z's deck performance,in all types of grasses. I only talked to one guy and he said they don't cut as well as the older units.He only side discharges with it because he wasn't happy with the way it mulched compared to the older ultra cut decks. Talked to scag guys and they like the velocity deck.Works good in all situations for them. I run into alot of high wet treated grass and don't want alot of clumping which is what the exmark guy told me his does. Scag guys said didn't have a problem. Any input? Thanks !!!!
Old 02-14-2013, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Exmarks deck is very tightly chambered. It produces a huge amount of vacuum and the clippings are chopped up very small. This results in arguably the best cut in ideal conditions. The trade off is bad clumping when wet and the need to constantly clean the deck. Also double cutting is not uncommon.

The Velocity is one of the best in all conditions. Others that perform great in all conditions are the JD 7 Iron and Gravely X-Factor. I put the X-Factor at a nice inbetween the Velocity and Exmark. It cuts almost as good as the Exmark in ideal conditions and almost as good as the Scag Velocity when wet.

Please keep in mind my experience is on cool season northern grasses. I cant speak for warm season southern grasses.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-14-2013, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks GMLC I appreciate the info. I heard good things about jdeeres iron deck too. Ideal conditions are hard to come by anymore with all the crazy storms we get here in the northeast anymore. Thats why I'm thinking of good all around deck.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Yup, I run the Velocity and X-Factor decks and have done very well in our wet conditions. Heck the dew doesnt even dry off here until 11am!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-14-2013, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I can vouch for the 7 Iron Pro and 7 Iron II decks useage in any condition.