Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-15-2013, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey RJ you in top shape
Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
Making the move to company t shirts was a great accomplishment for me this year. Now i see guys working and i wonder if its a real company or just some guys doing work on their house and cringe at how i used to look. I always keep a polo in the truck for estimates after work.

Ps how did you get that pic of me mowing my yard?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-15-2013, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
throw a shirt on that guy on the right and I'd choose whichever guy does the best quality.
Exactly! hell if the guy on the left does a sloppy job and isn't doing what should be done, but the guy on the right does a real good job and what he should be. I'd hire him shirt or no shirt.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

yeah I do think quality is much more important than having a company uniform. I'd much rather hire the hillbilly with no shirt, shorts and crocks if his quality was better than the guy with a business suit on.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Generally speaking the hillbilly guy will show up when he's good & ready. Even people that work from home will tell ya that it creates an organized state of mind by dressing up & getting out of the jammy's.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-15-2013, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
yeah I do think quality is much more important than having a company uniform. I'd much rather hire the hillbilly with no shirt, shorts and crocks if his quality was better than the guy with a business suit on.
Yes! I feel the same way and me and my guys can match and look professional but you still have to do a great job every time. Just because you dress well it won't excuse you if you don't deliver a quality product.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.neusbaum View Post
Generally speaking the hillbilly guy will show up when he's good & ready. Even people that work from home will tell ya that it creates an organized state of mind by dressing up & getting out of the jammy's.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes, generally speaking that is the case but I can think of two companies of the top of my head that sometimes depending on the weather I've seen shirtless once or twice that still do a very good job, show up the same time every week. And do a better job than some of the ones that wear shirts and match. I believe it has more to do with work ethic, and who's in charge of them.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm speaking from experience. If I had this smartphone 16 years back I'd offer my own shirtless & brown UPS work shorts wardrobe pics. All 124 accounts were billed from memory on a get around to it door knock basis. Years after I folded the mowing business a friend who was a helper at the time has his own 160 accounts & every aspect is well organized including his 2 full time employees having company shirts. Night & Day difference between our strategy. Btw, his guys are at the same houses the same days of the week at relatively the same time. Uniforms are a trickle down effect from good management.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-15-2013, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Generally speaking, the business owner who has his crews in uniform, will be the one to pay closer attention to detail and do a better job. :closed
Old 02-15-2013, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My uncle saw me one day in my work clothes, and asked if I just got out of church. Not sure if it was because the dark grey pants with the permanent crease, or the white long sleeve button-up shirt. I typically don't wear the long sleeves though. My everyday work shirts are white short sleeves with the button-up collar. Still looks just as professional, and doesn't cause a sweat fest during the warmer months.

Note: I know that's not a white shirt I'm wearing in my avatar... The blue long sleeve was just on that day to protect me in the dust storm I was dealing with in a client's backyard.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Even the convenient stores require us to wear shirts & hey we're the paying customer. Their 3 S's: No Shirt, no shoes no service. Here in Florida they admonish shirts by saying how the heat of the cancer lazer is way hotter than clothing.
Posted via Mobile Device