Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-16-2013, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Pearless Transmission trouble

I finally got my hands on a Scag 36" walkbehind. It runs great and is in good shape. The only problem I have found, is someone broke the bolt that holds the shift lever on the transmissions shifting mechanism (the peice my finger is on). Its pretty rough, I dont know if I can drill the rest of the old bolt out and re-tap the hole. I also have been unable to find a new shifting collar for this transmission, its a Pearless 700-022. Is there another way I could mount the lever on or am I pretty much screwed. All help would be greatly appreciated!

Grasshopper 52" 718K
Yazoo-Kees 48"
Stihl Trimmers & Blowers
Old 02-16-2013, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

New trans is around $200 which is cheap. J thomas has a breakdown of parts so you can see about buying individual pieces there. That trans should have some grease in it also that I don't see. For the bolt if the individual parts breakdown doesn't let you buy the part relatively cheap you could just weld a nut on it to help remove it or worse case assemble everything and weld it together.

If you value your time almost better off buying a new one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2013, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

BTW, that tranny takes Bentonite grease. It is not normal car grease and it behaves differently. You can buy it where ever you get the new shift fork. Parts are readily available for these trannies.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Drilling out that bolt is gonna be a tough one...its a grade 8 bolt..1/4 x 28 thread ...
Gonna take a good drillbit and a steady hand...its not impossible...though you might think so after dulling a few bits..
Old 02-16-2013, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Your best bet is look for it on eBay used parts there all time.OK you can try the redneck way witch it works MiG on the shifting lever
Old 02-16-2013, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ditto what Slapper says. It would appear that the cap screw is broken off slightly below the end of the shaft. If you haven't done a few of those it can be a frustrating, hairpulling job. Sometimes you're the hammer and sometimes you're the nail.

It's impossible to anticipate the condition of the threads. Occasionally I get lucky with a sharp left hand bit and the stub comes out on its own without any additional work--but that occasion is rather infrequent. Other times it's necessary to drill deep enough or through the stub in order to use an easy out and thats tough when threads are corroded. Last resort is drill out the entire stub, as flush as possible to the internal threads then pick out the pieces-- that requires starting as perfectly centered as possible. If that fails, it could be helicoiled as well.

It looks like a shift fork is $40+--you just have to weigh your options.

My two cents, for what it's worth.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Come to Ga and I'll give you one.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the offer but GA is too far to drive........I'm gonna try and fix it. I got a few ideas floating around in my head. If it can get me through the spring, I'll buy a new transmission around summer. I don't know if I can find a 36 spline transmission though, they seem to be rare............ I cleaned the inside real good and I need to put grease back in it. I know your suppose to use bentonite, but it's expensive and hard to find. Is there any other kind of grease I can use. Gear oil, lithium grease, or anything else?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2013, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoman View Post
Thanks for the offer but GA is too far to drive........I'm gonna try and fix it. I got a few ideas floating around in my head. If it can get me through the spring, I'll buy a new transmission around summer. I don't know if I can find a 36 spline transmission though, they seem to be rare............ I cleaned the inside real good and I need to put grease back in it. I know your suppose to use bentonite, but it's expensive and hard to find. Is there any other kind of grease I can use. Gear oil, lithium grease, or anything else?
Bentonite grease is the only grease they spec. Betonite grease is used for a variety of reasons.

1: It will not wash out of the tranny and it almost impossibe for any water that gets into the tranny to mix with Bentonite grease.

2: It does not melt or separate in time like conventional greases do.

3: It is a lifetime fill in the tranny.

You can buy Bentonite grease whenever mower parts are sold. It is easy to find.

It takes about 16 oz of grease for a fill.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tecumseh-Ben...item53f2a73934

Old 02-18-2013, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the link, I will order me a bottle of that Bentonite grease....... I thought about mig welding the shifting lever to the shift collar, but I would not be able to take the transmission apart in the future without cutting the weld first. I intend on buying a new transmission, but I am still the type of guy that will try to fix things anyway I can. I love to tinker and fix things, so I hatched a idea last night and i'm gonna try it. First, I will Drill the rest of the old bolt out, get a new bolt and cut the head off the bolt, and J.B weld the headless bolt in the hole leaving about 1 inch of threads sticking out. Then I can use a nut and washer to hold the shifting lever on instead of trying to tap the hole and use a bolt. I don't know if the J.B Weld can hold the pressure when I tighten the nut, but if I let it cure for 2-3 days it might work. Ill post the results when I am finished
Grasshopper 52" 718K
Yazoo-Kees 48"
Stihl Trimmers & Blowers

Last edited by banjoman; 02-18-2013 at 12:19 AM.