Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-28-2013, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Member

help cross ref oil seal for kawi

Hi All-- i was given a Kawi FC 540V-as08 form a wheel horse. Runs great but needs new oil seal. Toro bought the rights to this model so after looking up the part number KW10225, every place i have tried calling or searching on the web says it is discontinued. So im still searching. I gotta believe that when Kawi made the other similar 540V's - like the AS16 - some parts must have been interchangeable. So 2 questions.. First - how can i measure or determine if another aftermarket seal will fit (sorry I obliterated the seal that was in there w/o getting the numbers off it first.. trust me I will try to recreate it the best i can..). And second, is there a way to determine if any of the other similar 540V models shared the same diameter crank and/or oil pan. Seems a shame to scrap a perfectly good engine for want of a 5 dolla' part. thanks!!! dave
Old 02-28-2013, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Your spec #S08 does not show up on Kaw's site, likely due to a Toro dealer item only.

I took a look at two other FC540V spec numbers and both use Kaw#92049-2104 and I would suspect your spec used the same.

NAPA crosses that Kaw number to their own #SME704000.

If you're still in doubt, measure the crank OD and the seal recess ID of the block--with that info almost any auto supply should be able to find you a seal.

NAPA price is around 9 bucks unless you have an account at NAPA with a discount line.

Last edited by dutch1; 02-28-2013 at 01:27 PM. Reason: add
Old 02-28-2013, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Member

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=k...+Engine+FC540V

I have found most parts are interchangeable. John Deere does this too with their engines but you can find the part from a similar engine at a much lower price than what JD wants to charge. Check these breakdowns and see if it looks similar. Then you can see if you can get it locally that way if it doesnt fit you can take it back.