Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-16-2013, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
One of my clients, when a former Co. Applied liquid fert, cried a river that the liquid fert washed away during heavy Spring rains and thus MADE them re-apply....?
Posted via Mobile Device
Sounds to me like an uneducated consumer. An intelligent conversation with that client will easily fix the problem. If it doesn't you are in for more issues down the road.

I have had clients call and think the fertilizer washes away because we got rain the day after the turf app. Those complaints have been on lawns that received granular as well as liquid. A 5 minute conversation addressing the misconception of fertilizer washing away and a guarantee of quality on my part diffused the situation quickly
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2013, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlawn2 View Post
What guidelines or general timing considerations do you take into account when you're deciding whether to use granular or liquid fertilizers? Which months out of the year would you generally use each?
I don't know of you have gotten a legit answer to your original question.

Sorry. Here is my opinion. The end result does not come from whether you use liquid or dry fert in my opinion. It is more based on your area, weather, etc. you can get formulations that are identical I'm both liquid and granular, from analysis to slow release etc.

I find you actually end up with some more flexibility with liquid apps. But that is again my opinion.

Reality dictates you use the product form that you are comfortable with and fits your business model.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2013, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf hokie View Post
What is the difference between liquid or granular in this situation?

Yes it is worth a conversation with the customer to educate them on what you are applying. An uneducated customer will have an issue with granular or liquid if they have a misconception of what you applied.

I assume you think a liquid fert will wash away and a dry wont? Your as uneducated as the consumer.
Posted via Mobile Device
YEP
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-17-2013, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

There are a lot of threads on this topic and I've tossed the idea around of adding some liquids since I do a few blanket apps and fertilizations at the same round.

What I've found on this site is its questionable to do liquid at low volumes .3-.5 gallons per k out of a ride on.

Also it seems the liquid cost are much higher than granular considering I'm applying 3-4 total Fert apps at .75-1 lb N per k on fescue and Bermuda and .25 lbs N per k on centipede.

I'd be open to trying liquids if someone had proven results applying at my rates and volumes. I could benefit from a possible hybrid program since I do round 1 and 2 blanket apps, 3,4,5(usually spot treat but many times one round on warm is a blanket).
Old 02-17-2013, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I say, liquid yes. Not liquid N. Liquid micros. Fe, Mn, Mg and K at 1lb.liquid N is like trolling for pathogens. A 1 to 2 ratio on granular fertilizer on your N to K will IMHO out perform most environmental conditions compared to a 2 to 1 on N to K.
Plus in a mismanaged irrigation situation. Build true vigor. Pick one property to try a low N and a higher K with higher micros program. I'll bet pest pressure decreases and recovery becomes stronger.
Posted via Mobile Device