Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-15-2013, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Need advise on a starter mower

Hey everyone! I am looking at a used exmark lazer z to start my business with. I've saved up some cash and want to buy a good mower as my first one and not starting out with some low grade machine from lowes or Home Depot. Anyways the machine I found is a used exmark, it has a 60 inch deck, 25hp kohler commander engine, and about 1100 hours. He's asking 2500 but willing to come down some on the price. Over all mower looks great. I'm also looking at an exmark with a 23 hp kawi motor, with a 50 inch deck 683 hours and he's asking 3100. I don't want to blow all my money at once and would like to have a lot still saved for repairs, other equip., etc. I know it's hard for anyone to give me an opinion without actually seeing the equipment, but I have always heard Kawasaki motors are the best, never heard too much about kohler. So any advice there is appreciated, also is the hour difference a big deal? I mean its just a start machine that I plan on using till the wheels fall off even after I buy something nice shinny and new one day down the road. My last question is anything I should pay extra special attention too on used mower? (Noises, hydros, easily overlooked stuff that could be broken or cause headaches down the road)

Like I said this equipment is just starter equipment, so I'll only be using for 10-15 accounts for the first year and slowly working my way up, so they aren't going to be ran hardcore right now. I do have a church I mow though with a very large yard, so the 60 inch exmark does sound more appealing on a yard that is taking me 2 hours to mow with a 48 in. walk behind. Also I should add that the owner of the 50 inch exmark claims he never used his mower commercially, only on his 4 acre yard at home and he's replacing because he bought a small tractor and bush hog. The 60 inch I'm not sure if its been used commercially or not. But 1100 hours didn't seem too horrible for under 2500. Sorry this is kinda long but I'm just trying to get some professional opinions before make a decision. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Posted via Mobile Device