Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-15-2013, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Stihl SR 450

Just picked this up from my dealer. Gonna use it for mosquito apps and possibly some shrub or tree work.

Excited to read through the manual and test it out. Like it has different mister knobs with different settings. It has all the bells and whistles from what I can see.

So for those who use this model. Can you point me in the right direction as I state to "play?"
Old 02-15-2013, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Nice Just don't use it on a windy day
Old 02-15-2013, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

All the flow rates are in liters and not gallons. That makes it kind of tough to figure out. I'm going with a pretty low volume anyway.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Played with it a. Little this afternoon. Seems I can get good coverage on setting 2.5-3. I'm strictly fogging trees and shrubs. This is at a pace to cover the plants good.

I'm still tweaking it to obtain the proper setting between coverage and pace. Guess I want really know u til we start doing some treatments.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

how high will it reach?

Actually I prefer a gentle breeze. Spray upwind for 5 seconds, move right to spray sideways to the wind, then spray downwind, then move right again and spray from the opposite side. With some experience you will be able to spray without hardly getting any droplets on your goggles. Wear a hat with a broad brim--plastic so it cannot absorb chemicals.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
how high will it reach?

Actually I prefer a gentle breeze. Spray upwind for 5 seconds, move right to spray sideways to the wind, then spray downwind, then move right again and spray from the opposite side. With some experience you will be able to spray without hardly getting any droplets on your goggles. Wear a hat with a broad brim--plastic so it cannot absorb chemicals.
Great tips. I haven't tried spraying high yet. It's something I want to do. I also want to see what type volume it applies at highest setting. It could be a tool for bag worms in cypress and cedars as well as some smaller shrub ipm.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Think you can get enough volume from this to treat shrubs from time to time? I've got a few shrubs with sooty mold and was going to treat with orthene or safari closer to when new growth was emerging.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The original intent of these kinds of sprayers is to replace water with air. Instead of hosing down field, vineyard, or orchards with hundreds of gallons, that water volume is cut by 1/4 or more. I have used a machine like this for spraying hedges and shrubs in the past. My normal application rate through a disc-core wand is around 200 gallons per acre. Through a mist blower it is more like 25 gallons per acre. What that means is that per gallon, your solution can be 8X what it is for a hand sprayer or tree gun and you do not spray to wet. A 1000 sq ft area that takes 4 gallons conventionally, can be done with 1 gallon or less. The idea is to lightly fog the foliage not to the point of run off. To make the droplets from the mist blower more consistent, I also suggest the optional ULV air nozzle and the liquid pump that attaches to the blower.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 06-20-2013, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
Just picked this up from my dealer. Gonna use it for mosquito apps and possibly some shrub or tree work.

Excited to read through the manual and test it out. Like it has different mister knobs with different settings. It has all the bells and whistles from what I can see.

So for those who use this model. Can you point me in the right direction as I state to "play?"
Have you figured rates and techniques for mosquito control? What products are you using?
Old 06-20-2013, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

In the past 3 years we have signed up many companies using an all natural product using backpack mist blowers for mosquito, flea & tick control. Very effective and economical!

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt