Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2013, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

JB weld ain't gonna let you torque on it...
A few other ideas....
Drill out the bolt ...and instead of JBwelding in a threaded stud...insert the stud and mig it on..
Get a .213 drillbit.to drill out the broken bolt...tap the hole..
Old 02-19-2013, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

That will work fine I love my mig fabrication are endless
Old 02-21-2013, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Mission accomplished. ......I took a bolt, cut the head off, and welded it inside the hole. Its pretty stout and holds real well..........I have one question I need to ask though. This is the first belt drive I have owned and I am still learning the infamous Peerless transmission.....So.... Do these transmissions shift easier when the mower is running? I put it back together and tried to shift it and it would not go into any gears unless I turned the pulley by hand while I shifted the lever. I have not filled it with grease yet either, but these things should shift easier packed full of grease and while the mowers running, right? I cleaned it out and everything looks fine inside, shift keys are good and gears look great(I put the spacers back in the right order too). I hope I don't have potential problems on the way or am I worrying to much?......Anyways, Thank you all so much for the helpful info, I have learned a great deal since I joined this place.

Grasshopper 52" 718K
Yazoo-Kees 48"
Stihl Trimmers & Blowers
Old 02-22-2013, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Nevermind...Upon further inspection and after reading the Peerless service manual, I had the washers between each gear. The round side is suppose to face the shift keys, and I had it the other way around. Shifts great now! Just gotta wait for the grease to come in, pack it, and it should be ready to go.
Grasshopper 52" 718K
Yazoo-Kees 48"
Stihl Trimmers & Blowers
Old 02-28-2013, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Member

I bolted the transmission back on the mower today, but I have ran into a snag that I need a little help with. Is there a trick to getting the transmission pulley to slide over that half moon shaped woodruff key? Everytime I try to push the pulley up, the key flies out of its slot. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.
Grasshopper 52" 718K
Yazoo-Kees 48"
Stihl Trimmers & Blowers
Old 02-28-2013, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Why is it they never go back together as easy as they come apart.When I did my transmission I ended up grinding the mower frame to give clearance to slide the pulley on.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoman View Post
I bolted the transmission back on the mower today, but I have ran into a snag that I need a little help with. Is there a trick to getting the transmission pulley to slide over that half moon shaped woodruff key? Everytime I try to push the pulley up, the key flies out of its slot. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.
Put some grease in the slot for the Woodruff key. It will hold the key in place.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:06 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Put some grease in the slot for the Woodruff key. It will hold the key in place.
Also...make sure the keyway on the pulley is clean..
Make sure there aren't any burrs on the halfmoon key..
If the key fits sloppy in the shaft...dent it with a centerpunch..and tap it into place..
Old 02-28-2013, 06:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

"If the key fits sloppy in the shaft...dent it with a centerpunch..and tap it into place.."

Slapper, now that is a good "trick of the trade"

Eric
Old 02-28-2013, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the tips, I am gonna try them tonight..............I've got one more question then I will quit bugging you guys.. I really do appreciate all the help you have provided me, I am very thankful for that......I had to put a transmission pulley and a blade pulley on this mower(my mower has manual PTO, not electric). The pulleys went on fine, but there is one thing I am not 100% sure on. Are both of these pulleys suppose to take up the entire length of the crankshaft? When both of them are on, there is about a 1/4in gap between the transmission and engine pulley. There is a little of the crankshaft exposed at the bottom under the engine pulley too. Both pulleys are held in place pretty tight, but is this the way they are suppose to be? Ive searched the internet and lawnsite all day and I cant find anything about this. I double checked my part numbers and I got the right ones according to the manual. Here is a picture of how it is now.....I also wonder if that tapered hub is suppose to be all the way against the pulley. I have read that you can't get it all the way against it, but I was just wanting to make sure. I'm afraid to tighten the bolts anymore, for fear that they might break. I had to beat the thing to get it on there.

Grasshopper 52" 718K
Yazoo-Kees 48"
Stihl Trimmers & Blowers