Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-16-2013, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My backyard pond design. Gimme some feedback!

I just got a house and am going to start with the back yard, including a couple patios, large pond and lighting. I doodled this, the house and deck are to scale. Actually i really like this idea, looking for some input on how to really make this pond something else!

I want to be able to see the pond from the deck and patios.
Since its a decent size I thought 2 pumps and skimmers were in order.
Would like to do some lighting in the waterfall and general pond area.

Looking for some ideas. I understand how to build it and have built a few but looking for some input on the design part. Money is not to much of a concern.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I also just thought maybe it would be cool to have a smaller pond where that one is now and have a stream off of it wrapping around the sunken patio?
Old 02-16-2013, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Id move the waterfall too the bottom where you have the last skimmer. That way you can see it from every point of ur yard and house. Where it is now your looking at from the backside when you are in the house.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2013, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking the same thing, only problem is i HATE the look of a waterfall coming out of nowhere (way above grade). I really like that idea, maybe figure out a way to keep the grade higher on the back a bit, keep the rock retaining wall going around the pond a bit? The grade goes away from the house obviously.

I also REALLY wanted to implement a stream going through a walk, with a couple stepping stones in the creak to get across. My friend did a pondless with this and it was AWESOME
Old 02-16-2013, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Well thats where skill comes in when building a water feature. 95 percent of all my ponds ive built are on flat ground or on bad slopes going the wrong direction. If it was easy everybody would do it lol.. i wished i had slopes going the right way id be a happy camper all the time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2013, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Now if you want to get really creative you can start your waterfall where your so call "focal point" is . You can then run a stream all the way down around your sunk in patio to the pond. You can really make a statement that way with lighting in the stream possible stone bridges. Now its not gonna be a cheap project but you did say money wasn't a problem lol..
Old 02-18-2013, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I am on a similar path as raggs. I would start falls behind setwall on right side just in below the focal point. Bring the stream down between the upper patio and lower patio (the one with the fire pit) and use two bridges, one where the flagstone walk is now on the right, and the other at the bottom of the stairs going from upper to lower patio. Then use a larger skimmer to accomodate two pumps, run one pump to the falls in front of "focal point" and then create another falls to the left of the deck. I would place the skimmer to the left of the one at the bottom of the drawing. On the falls to the left of the deck you could use outcropping to build up height so that it doesn't look like a huge rock wall. I would also leave the deck or build a raised patio at a similar height.