Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-16-2013, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Exmark X Series...can't decide

Hey all,

I am in the market for a new 60 inch exmark this season. I currently run a 2005 and 2007 both lazers. I am trying to decide which engine to get on my new mower. I currently run both kawasaki and kohler. Here is my question...

I was thinking of going EFI this year, but have heard great things about the new Kawasaki engines. I am thinking either 27 or 29 hp which I think would be enough. Any reviews would be awesome. I am a small operation, but do a lot of work so I need something that will work as hard as I do. I have never bought a new mower so this is extremely exciting for me and could use any help. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The new red technology efi is supposed to be a huge advance for exmark. I spoke with a rep on Wednesday he states they are seeing 25-41% fuel savings between a new efi from a carb of the same hp. I think it is Definately worth looking into. He says the upgrade just to efi is only around 700.00. I have not checked the prices yet to know that for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2013, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay12 View Post
The new red technology efi is supposed to be a huge advance for exmark. I spoke with a rep on Wednesday he states they are seeing 25-41% fuel savings between a new efi from a carb of the same hp. I think it is Definately worth looking into. He says the upgrade just to efi is only around 700.00. I have not checked the prices yet to know that for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device
Fuel/gas is a very emotional purchase due to how its viewed. Look at your numbers and ask if you should dwell on fuel costs on mowers or more impacting costs.

Last I checked my mower fuel was less than 3% of sales. Truck gas was over 10%. Labor close to 30%.

Let's say efi says 1% of sales. While that is nice to save it won't kill you. Labor and vehicle costs will kill you if you don't spend time on them. Spending more time on routing, reducing call backs is where savings are.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2013, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Like said above, mower fuel doesn't come close to other expenses such as truck fuel and labor. I don't know what my new Lazer gets because I haven't cut with it yet, but my 23 and 24 hp Turf Tracers get about 4 hours to a tank of gas. They probably hold about 4.5 to 5 gallons. I am not too worried about how much my mowers suck down.

What makes me cringe is filling up my pickup at over $100 every few days... Good thing I have a Honda Civic for daily driving lol...
Old 02-16-2013, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Exmark X

Hey all,

I was more curious about the other pros and cons of the engines. Things like fewer oil leaks, turnaround time on part replacement, etc. I have about 55 lawns I cut so its a lot of hours in the seat. I have next to no labor and my farthest account is 11 miles away so my routes are really good. I was interested in the way EFI works in different cutting conditions. I want the engine that will give me the most hours with the least problems. Thanks for the responses and safe mowing this year!
Old 02-16-2013, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Id be more concerned with cut quality in wet conditions. Until thats fixed I cant pull the trigger even though Exmark is on my short list.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2013, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Id be more concerned with cut quality in wet conditions. Until thats fixed I cant pull the trigger even though Exmark is on my short list.
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't think Exmark even cares. I Demoed a new Lazer this past year with the newest UltraCut deck and it cut marginally better than my '95 Lazer with a Trivantage deck in wet conditions. That was the main reason I didn't buy a new Exmark and went another direction.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

exmark is about #5 on my list. i'm pretty sure i'll never buy one.

i'd go with a scag, john deere, husqvarna, or hustler.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bought 2 38 horse X Series exmarks for this season. was the only carburated engines I could get with enough HP to feel like I could power the UltraVacs without wishing for more power. I like simple and carbs work for me. Simple and reliable. We did a LOT of demos last fall and the cut of the Exmark won us over. We have run Scag, Deere, Hustler and Walker in the past and also demoed Gravely side by side with Exmark as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-17-2013, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Of the 16k spent by us on fuel last year 6500 went into trucks which are diesels so its easy to tell what went where. The rest went into equipment with probably 80-85% into the mowers and thats only using them 3-4 days a week. So its a big enough cost for us to have got our attention especially since we want to add 100 accounts this upcoming season.

I'm also looking at more then just the 25-41% fuel savings they speak of I will be increasing deck size by about 20% the 52 will go to a 60 and our 60 will be replaced by a 72. Then as if that wasn't good enough the new mowers have a top speed of 11.5 mph our current 2 were rated for 10 long ago and do not do that any more 8.5-9 is much closer to reality. I am hopeful we can see a 30-35% fuel savings and cut our mower times by 20-30% on top of that.