Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-19-2013, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Member

JD x500 or Gravely 991084???

I have a very flat lawn and mow about 4 acres. I plan to occasionally tow a small trailer for things like mulch, but that is only a few times a year. I am mostly looking for a mower that will last a long time and save me time so that I can spend it with my family. I have a used 2012 JD X500 with 36 hours on it and a 54" deck that I'm looking at and the person is asking $4700 for it. I have also been kicking around the idea of purchasing a new Gravely 991084 with a 60" deck. On their website it is listed for $5200. Any thoughts about which would be a better purchase for me and if these prices seem in line? I am not planning to mow any lawns other than my own.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I would check out a Gravely Pro-Turn 60" 991203 $5999. Its Gravely's new full commercial quality entry level mower.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2013, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm hoping to go to a dealer tomorrow and check these two out. I noticed you linked to the B&S vs the Kawasaki. Any reason for that or it was just the one you saw first?
Old 02-19-2013, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintsters View Post
I'm hoping to go to a dealer tomorrow and check these two out. I noticed you linked to the B&S vs the Kawasaki. Any reason for that or it was just the one you saw first?
The Kawi version is $1500 more. The kawi on the mower your looking at is the lower end version(which is still fine for you). The Briggs on the one I showed you is their full commercial engine which would also be more than fine for you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2013, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The ZT HD your looking at is a fine machine. I do know people who use it commercially fulltime. It will probably last you a lifetime at 4 acres a week!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2013, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Any thoughts about the x500? Is there really that substantial of a time savings between a ZT and a GT w/hydrostatic transmission? I'm asking because I genuinely don't know. I was also looking at the JD 62" ZT. If not the x500, then for about the same money which is better, the JD ZT or Gravely HD? It sounds like the Gravely pro-turn is in its own category and when I see it I'll have to determine whether it is worth the extra grand.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

A ZTR is definatley faster. Ridin' Green is an expert on JD's and will know more than I about JD models. I would try to get in touch with him. Very helpful guy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2013, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm going to show my newness here...how do I get ahold of ridin' green? I could do a search but could not figure out how to communicate with him.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Easy- just like this LOL

ZTR's are definitely faster, but there's fast, and then there's quality fast. If you don't operate a Z all the time, it is very easy to tear turf on turns, and your first few times you'll probably white knuckle it because they are far twitchier feeling at first.
If you don't plan to use a snow blade or blower and won't pull too heavy a load then the Z may be just the ticket for you once you become adjusted to it.

I mow with both JD heavy duty GT's and a Deere Z950. They both have their place. Since you have no hills to contend with, the issues that go hand in hand with a Z on hills isn't in the equation. If it were, for the average homeowner a GT would be far better because they are safer on hills, both up and down and across.

The X500's are very stout tractors and IMO, you'll be able to mow about as fast on one as you will on a Z for two reasons.

1) Rarely can a person mow at full sticks on a Z unless the ground is smooth and flat, and there's no obstacles to go around.

2) The X500 has the side by side hydro pedals and switching directions is very fast, and you can do so without any fear of tearing any turf like you will on a Z. To do the best job on a Z that you can requires making 3 point turns anyway, so you gain nothing there over a good hydro tractor.

Both Gravely, and Deere decks cut extremely well in most any condition.

In the end, the tractor may be the more versatile and practical choice for a homeowner, especiallly since that particular machine is very heavy duty- probably more so than any of the Z's you've mentioned so far. You realy need to wit until you can mow at your place and then demo both to see what you prefer.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Well that was easy! Just when I thought I was clear that I should be getting a ZT you threw in some of the thoughts that were going on in my head to start with. The X500 is a 2012 with 36 hours on it. The person is selling it because he needs the cash and is asking $4700 for it. Do you have a sense of how much it is worth?