Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-16-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Agency Lawn Care

Just a little back ground.. Im a 15 year Law Enforcement Officer who decided to try my hand in Lawn Care in 2011. My goal was/is to build this business to the point where I can retire from law enforcement. Not because I dislike it, but I have worked in some of the worst places, and have been in too many bad situations.

I got a very late start on 2011. I had a 16 ft trailer already, and I bought a small residential zero turn that was a complete mistake from the beginning. I bought a very used Stihl BR550 and a Husqvarna 326ls. During the two months I repaired the husqvarna ztr many times. It would not hold up to commercial mowing. I only obtained 6 accounts in that time. But I found the love for this business.

I started the 2012 season with The purchase of a Snapper Pro Commercial SX50 48 with a 19hp Kai. Also bought a Stihl Br600 mag., Stihl FS90r, Stihl kmobi 110 with edger and trimmer attachments all new. I picked up a used Redmax eb7001 as well.

The year started great and I obtained 25 accounts the first 4 months. Mainly bigger lake homes. I sold the Snapper with 160 hrs., on it and bought a used Exmark Lazer Z with the 56" Triton deck, and a 23hp Kawi. 350 hrs on it.

The year ended and I had 32 accounts. Here is a few pictures of some work.

Starting the year off with 27 retained accounts from last year. I decided to sell the exmark, and purchase a used Scag TT 61" Advantage deck and 27hp Kohlar. I absolutely love this Machine.

A few pictures after I returned from my first cut of the year yesterday. I was loaded light and it felt good to start up. Still very very wet around here.

I didnt take allot of pictures last couple years, but I will this year.

Thanks for looking
Old 02-16-2013, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Agency Lawn Care

Great post, good luck to you in the future seasons! I hope I can grow like you have over 3 years!! Advertise,advertise,advertise.
21" Honda
Stihl FS90R
Stihl KM130R
Husqvarna 145BT backpack blower
4HP Craftsman walk behind edger
7X14 tandem enclosed trailer
Old 02-16-2013, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Its been a long road for sure. Ive made mistakes and lost accounts because of them. As far as advertising, I started heavy this year. The ones I have now were mostly word of mouth. Hope you have a great season too man. Best advise is don't drop your your prices just to get the account. I learned that the hard way.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwatDawg15 View Post
Its been a long road for sure. Ive made mistakes and lost accounts because of them. As far as advertising, I started heavy this year. The ones I have now were mostly word of mouth. Hope you have a great season too man. Best advise is don't drop your your prices just to get the account. I learned that the hard way.
Been in this since 05. You do learn alot and dont come down to others levels.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-17-2013, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Oh and nice equipment.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-17-2013, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks man.. The first two months taught me a valuable lesson between commercial and residential equipment. Keeping that first husky going was draining my profits. I liked the exmnark, but I love the Scag turf tiger.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Member

We have a freedom z and tigercat. You can see some of our stuff. In the pictures thread name is Concepts Equipment.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-17-2013, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

cool story. you're moving in the right direction. you have more accounts than me and i'm starting my 3rd season as well.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:56 AM
LawnSite Member

I had some help for sure. I did good work and charged a fair price that was in line with other LCO's. 85% of us get along great around here. Most of us help each other out when we can. One of the local LCO's was in a crash and was off for a couple weeks last year. Two other companies and myself cut his accounts for him while he was out and didn't charge him a dime. Of course there are the "Johnny ten dollar"' and a few other decent sized outfits that will undercut you every year. Last year this yahoo popped up and started following us around and trying to low ball our accounts. We all got together and found out where his 8 accounts were... Then we politely told him to knock it off.. or we would get together and go around and cut his stuff for free just to put him out. Needless to say he seen the light.

Got off subject sorry lol

long story short.. I was given a couple accounts, and I have gave a couple away. Its allot easy if we all work together.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lookin good.