Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-06-2014, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Identify this Weed

I'm not too good at identifying weeds, but know there is someone experienced that can help me out with this one. If I was take a wild guess it would be between Dallisgrass, Nutsedge, or Crabgrass. I'm in the Central Texas Area. Thanks for any input!

Old 04-06-2014, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Definitely not a sedge. Looks like dallisgrass, blades seem to grow as long as they can before termination. Seedheads would tell a lot. I'm in Fort Worth.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like K31 fescue
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-06-2014, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
Looks like K31 fescue
Posted via Mobile Device

This is coming out of a zoysia lawn. And the blades look similar to the zoysia, it almost looks like a grass. I've been doing hours of searching on just what someone posted above. I'm afraid to say it's Dallisgrass, which is what I don't want because it's so hard to treat. Unfortunately, I didn't have any of these weed issues last year when the weather was hot and the grass was growing nice and thick. I know Dallisgrass is hard to treat and I don't feel comfortable dealing with all the chemicals and herbicides being that I'm not licensed. Looks like I'll be digging them up all week after work hours and the weather is suppose to get back into the 80's this week so hopefully the grass will start thickening up.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There are selective treatments. Not RUP, but $$$$$$$$$$$. I am a fan of 30% RoundUp touched to the center of grassy weed clumps with a brush in small lawns. Mow the zoysia low because it will then expose the weed and minimize contact with the desirable zoysia.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 04-06-2014, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
There are selective treatments. Not RUP, but $$$$$$$$$$$. I am a fan of 30% RoundUp touched to the center of grassy weed clumps with a brush in small lawns. Mow the zoysia low because it will then expose the weed and minimize contact with the desirable zoysia.

Green Doc, as I mentioned to you earlier in the other post. I plan on using the reel on it this year. I scalped it in early spring. I plan on to start leveling it this week then I'm going to get this thing down to .75 - 1" over the summer.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Perfect. This grassy weed will stick out as a coarse green clump that grows faster than the rest of the lawn. A 1" paint brush dipped in RoundUp will kill it without much collateral damage.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's exactly what's already happening. The weed is sticking out as a clump and is growing about 3-4x as fast as the grass. I started pulling them up today. Pulled about two grocery bags from the very bottom of the root, but as you know it was leaving dirt or empty areas in the lawn. I was thinking the Zoysia will eventually spread once it starts growing in the summer. But I will defiantly start using the Round Up on the paint brush trick. So you are saying just take the paint brush to the center part of the weed?
Old 04-06-2014, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes. The last thing I ever want to do in a lawn is leave shovel holes. Those holes germinate weeds and do not say preemergents because many will prune roots, affecting fill in into those holes. My preference is to kill a weed and let the surrounding desirable grass fill in over that dead weed. If someone is impatient and has more money than brains, they can make holes then buy sod to patch those holes.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

To be honest with you I was just thinking that earlier hehe. I was about to look into picking up some sod and just filling in the spots until I started calculating fuel, minimum order, and so on. I'm going to try the Round Up and paint brush trick. I actually read something about that in one of your post earlier, but somehow forgot about the idea and decided to pull them. Is there any particular type of Round Up you would suggest?