Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2013, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Near 100% side-discharging guy here:

Looking forward to HEARING how well these side-discharge as far as clipping dispersal.
That part of the frame that extends across the chute opening at the bottom could be a deal-breaker as far as QOC when side-discharging.
I realize this aspect is integral to the deck stiffness...but there are no heavy gauge WB decks with this for a good reason.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 03-07-2013, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
Looking forward to HEARING how well these side-discharge as far as clipping dispersal.
That part of the frame that extends across the chute opening at the bottom could be a deal-breaker as far as QOC when side-discharging.
I realize this aspect is integral to the deck stiffness...but there are no heavy gauge WB decks with this for a good reason.
Last years Toro ô30 is/was okay. Discharge distance isn't very far and was kinda passive IMO. This years blades on the Exmark are higher lift. Just so I don't have to worry about discharge of unwanted clippings I have rarely used the chute since it sticks out. If I know I'm going to side discharge I just use a BOP mower with a nicer cut.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2013, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I spoke with my guy at my dealer last week and he said he can get one for me at list price: $1499. With tax that would be around 1600 roughly. I heard some people on here saying they can run from 17-1800. I guess it depends on where you go.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderhoff Landscaping View Post
I spoke with my guy at my dealer last week and he said he can get one for me at list price: $1499. With tax that would be around 1600 roughly. I heard some people on here saying they can run from 17-1800. I guess it depends on where you go.
Got a quote of $1699 for the Toro today. Hoping to look at it in a bit here. I prefer the front protection grab bar on the Exmark. The Toro is just a guard and no real grab.handle. Exmark front wheel adjustment ...looks pretty slow to me.

For me it's the ease, functionality and egronomics of the engagement controls of Toro vs Exmark....which has yet to be determined...which is best....?
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Exact Rototilling; 03-07-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Got a quote of $1699 for the Toro today. Hoping to look at it in a bit here. I prefer the front protection grab bar on the Exmark. The Toro is just a guard and no real grab.handle. Exmark front wheel adjustment ...looks pretty slow to me.

For me it's the ease, functionality and egronomics of the engagement controls of Toro vs Exmark....which has yet to be determined...which is best....?
Posted via Mobile Device
Was your quote for the one with the electric start? My dealer recommended not getting the one with it!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2013, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderhoff Landscaping View Post
Was your quote for the one with the electric start? My dealer recommended not getting the one with it!
Posted via Mobile Device
Um...had no clue they even that option. I basically figured since it was commercial rated and the same engine as on the 21 it would not be needed?

I have it on my TimeMaster mainly for shear speed and for weaker helpers to start. The carb on my Briggs has never been right on. Dealer looked at it and said is was okay fine...?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2013, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Um...had no clue they even that option. I basically figured since it was commercial rated and the same engine as on the 21 it would not be needed?

I have it on my TimeMaster mainly for shear speed and for weaker helpers to start. The carb on my Briggs has never been right on. Dealer looked at it and said is was okay fine...?
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah apparently the one with the electric start is $100 more! Dealer said you don't need it!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2013, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Need it...? Probably not. Faster and more productive yes.

I'm glad I have electric start on my other WB mowers ...pull starting inside an enclosed trialer is a PITA when your tall etc. Then again V-Twins are bigger and mowers have a reverse.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2013, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device
My thoughts on the height adjuster, I personally don't change height of cut on my smaller machines but maybe a few times a year for my regular properties. Now if I get into something "extra" it may need adjusted, but it's literally a 45 second job for the fronts and 2 seconds for the rear. Not a deal breaker for me.

I think on the Toro vs. Exmark control bails, it just comes down to personal preference. on a 21" I typically prefer the style bail the exmark has, like my John deere, Lawn boys have. But they have gears to select from too. Now I do fine with the bail on my 21" proline too, and I think the way it's designed does make it easier to feather it to control your speed. You can use your thumbs to control it versus having to use your fingertips on the others and the Exmark.

My 30" is not a front line mower, so these little issues really aren't that big of a deal. It's going to be used for back yards mostly and the occasional front yard or strips. I have mowers with seats for the big stuff. My employee will also be the one running it, probably more than me, lol.

I will just have to see how things go, but my thoughts are to use the 30" plus my 33" troybilt to take the place of my 36" walker GHS. the 36" walker is nice, don't get me wrong, but often it's pretty heavy for some lawns, and the quality of cut is questionable at times too. When the grass is growing super fast it may be the best option, having almost 7 bushels of capacity for grass and being able to ride from the back yard back to the truck to dump is a big time saver versus having to dump a 2.5 bushel catcher over and over. My plan is to get a 2nd bag for the 30" to carry into back yards. Easy enough to carry it back out or carry 2 at a time and make one trip into 2 dumps. Spare bags weren't available yet though.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I hear you on the 36 Walker. Precisely why I never went with one.

2 empty bags makes sense when you're forced to bag. I use burlap squares 6' x 6'

The bummer is mowing height changes are frequent for me. On a few lawn the back at a different height than the front. This is where the Time Master flat out shines...insanely fast change even with engine.running and blades engaged.
Posted via Mobile Device