Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-17-2013, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Gas vs diesel ... Diesel worth it?

The last 2 personal/work trucks I've bought have been diesel. I've been happy with the power and getting 10.3 mpg from my Chevy 2500

At the purchase of the last truck diesel was cheaper than gas. That lasted a very short time. I pull a trailer with 1-2 ztrs most of the time. Other times its a trailer with a ride on spreader and at times fertilizer with a 65 gallon water tank in the bed

As it is. Now the diesel price is 40-50 cents higher than regular gas. So are diesels worth the extra cost anymore? Just curious on your thoughts.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have searched this site as well as made other inquiries. Many people will fall on each site. Diesels are not designed to cycle on and off like we use them is the most compelling argument against diesels if there are any.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Even if you pay more for diesel I think you still save.
And the torque is no match
Old 02-17-2013, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It gets better fuel economy and more power when towing.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Also that power last forever Diesel engines actually get better fuel economy after 200k Gas engines start losing power and getting warm when diesels are just breaking in So in the long run a diesel is more powerful and durable
Old 02-17-2013, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The facts about my diesel mowers

I drive an Isuzu Npr. An old one at that. Its a four cylinder diesel. I get 12.9 miles to the gallon with an exhaust leak at the manifold. I have a 61" Great Dane w/ a 22 horse Kohler gas engine that burns 3 to 5 gallons a day. I have two Kubota 60" diesel mowers (18 horse front deck and a 21 horse ztr ). They burn 3 to 5 gallons a week on the same lawns. That's right. Same lawns. No matter which diesel mower I use, I save bout 80% versus gasoline. However, I here the fuel injected mowers do well.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
1989 Toyota One ton Flatbed
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind
Old 02-17-2013, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Went from diesel to gas!

I just made the switch a month ago. From diesel to gas. Next truck will be a diesel!!! Have plowed with it a few times and it has no where near the power the diesel had! And the gas mileage is much worse than I ever expected.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Member

We run both!

We have both Gas (all chevys) and Diesel (all dodge) trucks. I'm always driving a diesel with a 7x18 tandem behind it. I warm in up in the morning, let it idle at quick jobs (<5 mins), and cool off at the end of the day. I love the torque, fuel economy when towing, sound, and the acceleration to 25-35 mph. Perfect for around town mowing; especially since I live in an area that is all hills. The maintenance and fuel are more expensive, but I seem to have fewer break downs as well. Which means a lot to me since I need to be going all out during mowing season. I average 10 mpg around town, with the trailer. Which weights about 6,000 lbs when loaded.

My boss drives hard and doesn't let things warm up or cool down. He has a get in and go attitude from the spring to fall, and he knows it. So he sticks with the chevy big block gassers. That's what he knows, and he has no reason to change. They always work, pull hard, and burn tons of gas. I'd say 8-9 mpg around town is good... when empty. I haven't gotten a chance to get an average towing yet, as its a newer truck and we have been using it to plow snow. His truck won't last as long as mine will, but it was also a lot cheaper to buy.

Overall I see the trade offs as a flop.
When it comes to light-duty trucks just buy what you prefer and what your comfortable with. Take good care of it and it will last.
Toro Turfmaster 30" (2)
Toro 21" Proline (6)
Walker MT EFI 48" GHS (1)
Echo Trimmers, Blowers, & Saws
Hiniker and Cycle Country Plows
Old 02-17-2013, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I am trying to figure this out for myself. I have got to buy a truck soon and I can't decide which way to go. My route is far from tight I have a couple of days that will be 250 plus miles round trip and another that is over 150 and its all hills pretty much and some interstate. I pull a lightweight tandem trailer with one ztr and the handhelds and I may be adding a walkbehind. Most everybody is telling me I will be better off with a gasser but I am thinking a diesel would average out to the better.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Member

^ I'm always more comfortable towing with a diesel when I have to make any trip out of town. I feel it's more planted on the road, has the power to pass, and the brakes to stop fast. Especially with the help of electric trailer brakes.

I'd say it all comes down to money. How much do you plan on spending?
Toro Turfmaster 30" (2)
Toro 21" Proline (6)
Walker MT EFI 48" GHS (1)
Echo Trimmers, Blowers, & Saws
Hiniker and Cycle Country Plows