The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2013, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Not relative, it's all maintenance.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2013, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It is relative to what you want to spend. Its relative to how often you want to be doing maintenance. It's relative to how much mpg you get. It's relative to your needs. It's relative to what you call expensive. It's relative to what you consider minor or major repairs.

I did everything right on my diesel. It had minor problems. Did everything right on my gasser. Still had minor issues. The difference was the diesel repairs were more expensive.

My best advice is that if you are someone like me who buys used, drives a few years then sells and upgrades to a new used vehicle every 2-5 years, get a gasser.

If I were getting a brand new truck with warrantee-Id get a diesel because of the lessened day to day cost.

If i were getting on and planning to keep it 7+ years, id go diesel because of the longevity.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2013, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
It is relative to what you want to spend. Its relative to how often you want to be doing maintenance. It's relative to how much mpg you get. It's relative to your needs. It's relative to what you call expensive. It's relative to what you consider minor or major repairs.

I did everything right on my diesel. It had minor problems. Did everything right on my gasser. Still had minor issues. The difference was the diesel repairs were more expensive.

My best advice is that if you are someone like me who buys used, drives a few years then sells and upgrades to a new used vehicle every 2-5 years, get a gasser.

If I were getting a brand new truck with warrantee-Id get a diesel because of the lessened day to day cost.

If i were getting on and planning to keep it 7+ years, id go diesel because of the longevity.
Posted via Mobile Device
This is sound advice
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2013, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We have had multiple gassers go over 200K no problems.... Im sure my diesel will make it over 200K but It will prolly have another 5,000 bucks worth of repairs and maintanance to get it there. I can buy another decent work truck with that. Im just not a diesel guy. For pulling (most) mowing outfits its just not needed...... By the way, my diesel truck doesnt do much better fuel wise than my gassers. It does but by the time you figure the maintanance and breakdowns im experiencing. No way. I couldnt imagine owning one of the diesel trucks that supposedly had lots of issues. Geez I think my 7.3 has more problems than all my chevys put together in the past year. Could be the emblem on the front thats cursing it.......

Just pulled my 16ft enclosed trailer to indiana to pick up my new scag cheetah with the ford 7.3 psd. 70mph on hwys most of the way 18-1900 rpms truck got 10.8mpg. My gasser would have done close to that if not as good. Yeah Im sure you guys with the newer diesel can do better but Im not spending that kinda money on a truck Im gonna work the hell out of. Gas for me the rest of the time. The headaches are just not worth it to me.

By the way, any of you with an OBS ford psd tried to find a gear reduction starter for on of the dam trucks lately????? Geez, I had to have mine rebuilt... Autozone, oreilleys, napa, man nobody had them. The ones they did have werent gear reduction and they were really long and wouldnt even fit in the area it had to go. This is exactly what Im talking about. Headache!!!!!
Old 02-21-2013, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by precision8m View Post
The vp44 is $1500. Been there..... Get a fuel pressure gauge and probably a new fuel pump.

For me, I am willing to overlook the few faults and expenses of a diesel and I won't be using gas trucks. Gassers are retired by 150-200k miles, and diesels are going over 300 and into 500-600 k miles. The power and mileage makes gassers seem pointless.
I really must be missing out on something here. I know that these newer diesels are powerful as hell but my 6 litre gassers are some running mothers and will pull next to my dawg 7.3 any day of the week. Up hills, whatever.......... I guess Everyones talking about these newer trucks or something. Unless a man sinks a ton of money in a 7.3 its not gonna pull much better than a 6.0 gasser and the cost of repairs and maintanace are zilch compared to the diesel. I own them both, It drive them both, its fact! My uncle and I both decided to buy one of these ford trucks. His is a 2000 and mine is an old 97......... were both glad there not our only vehicles lets just say that. They live in the shop. We both learned our lesson

Last edited by mowcrazy; 02-21-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Member

In this never ending debate over gas vs diesel I always see that argument that diesel motors can run for 500K+ miles from the diesel side, but really, how many of you guys here are getting that out of them? I'm tempted to start a separate thread asking that very question.

I agree that gassers can be pretty iffy after about 200K. I just got my '01 F-150 to 200K with minor repairs and sold it for another gasser with much lower miles to avoid the inevitable big ticket items coming. I can see you taking a diesel to 300K, but who is taking them beyond that? Would any of you buy a diesel work truck with over 300K miles on it? Because I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole! The rest of the truck is going to fall apart around it, the interior is likely shot, and it's going to steadily eat you alive in costly repairs. I'm sure there are exceptions, but unless I knew the truck/owner very well and was getting it VERY cheap, there's no way. I'm not taking a shot at you either Precision, just raising that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by precision8m View Post
Gassers are retired by 150-200k miles, and diesels are going over 300 and into 500-600 k miles. The power and mileage makes gassers seem pointless.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2013, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Member

i just had to go through this dilemma...I'm looking to add a new truck to my company and we were looking at a 3500 Dodge with either a hemi or cummings. I ended up deciding on the hemi. For the extra cost of the diesel at original purchase, the cost of diesel itself these days and the amount of miles i will put on the truck in the year id have to put over 125,000 miles on the truck in order to just make a diesel break even. I drove the gas around quite a bit and for me i'm moving up from an old 6.5l chevy, the power was more than adequate in the hemi.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you plan to keep the truck 12+ years diesel is the only way to go lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2013, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Man, knock on wood my 7.3 has been pretty good. I pull a 24 foot enclosed trailer with 3 diesel ZTR's, a walkbehind and a slew of tools. I just dont know it the gasser would pull it, never tried...but a deaer isnt going to let me pull my trailer during the test drive lol!
Old 03-01-2013, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post
i just had to go through this dilemma...I'm looking to add a new truck to my company and we were looking at a 3500 Dodge with either a hemi or cummings. I ended up deciding on the hemi. For the extra cost of the diesel at original purchase, the cost of diesel itself these days and the amount of miles i will put on the truck in the year id have to put over 125,000 miles on the truck in order to just make a diesel break even. I drove the gas around quite a bit and for me i'm moving up from an old 6.5l chevy, the power was more than adequate in the hemi.
What are you pulling with the Hemi?

I have a 2012 2500 Hemi, it pulls our 8.5x20 enclosed trailer with no problem at all. It's a blast to drive with no trailer.