Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-09-2013, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGlandscape View Post
That does not match up to my findings at allll. I wonder if your diesels are running properly or maybe old diesel engines? I used a 6.0 for a couple weeks multiple times and it got TERRIBLE gas mileage.
Like miserable. And ive personally used 3 of them. I got 7.5-8 mpgs towing 6.5k with it. Thats worse than i get with the diesel towing 13,000 pounds

While the 6.0 did tow very very well for a gas engine, it still doesnt compare to a diesel...
Posted via Mobile Device
I do assure you my my Powerstroke 7.3 is in tip top running order its got 4:88 gears and 6 speed so it's a stump puller not a fuel saver. The 7.3 and the 6.0 (gasser) are two diffrent animals and like you said the 6.0 does well for what it is. It will do the same job as my 7.3 it's just going to do it at a slightly higer rpm.
Here's how I see it about gas vs diesel you either want a diesel or need a diesel. I got my diesel because of its higer GVWR.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLS-Tx View Post
What are you pulling with the Hemi?

I have a 2012 2500 Hemi, it pulls our 8.5x20 enclosed trailer with no problem at all. It's a blast to drive with no trailer.
I just ordered up a new 18' sure trac trailer. Ill be hauling my is2000 ferris, 40" toro walk behind and 52" toro grandstand. I also haul a little Massey GC2600 subcompact. So I don't see any worries with towing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2013, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dually00-00 View Post
I do assure you my my Powerstroke 7.3 is in tip top running order its got 4:88 gears and 6 speed so it's a stump puller not a fuel saver. The 7.3 and the 6.0 (gasser) are two diffrent animals and like you said the 6.0 does well for what it is. It will do the same job as my 7.3 it's just going to do it at a slightly higer rpm.
Here's how I see it about gas vs diesel you either want a diesel or need a diesel. I got my diesel because of its higer GVWR.
4.88 gears? Is that in a dumptruck or dually or something? Those gears are why the mileage is about the same as the gasser
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2013, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGlandscape View Post
4.88 gears? Is that in a dumptruck or dually or something? Those gears are why the mileage is about the same as the gasser
Posted via Mobile Device
It's a f450 so yes it is a dually and it is also a dump truck. I wouldn't expect the mpg to be any better. I didn't buy it to get good mpg's.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ive got a 97 powerstroke and a 2004 6.0 gasser chev truck. I had to do many mods to the powerJOKE to keep it out of the way of folks running me over. downpipe, dptuner chip, yada yada and my 6 litre truck still will outpull that ford any day of the week and yes there is nothing wrong with the ford. My gasser never breaks or costs me money. The ford on the other hand has something wrong with it every other week thats costing me money. Injector here injector there, glow plugs, trannys are junk (automatic)...... Ill not own another diesel again.......... Ive got enough in repairs in the ford to have bought another spare 6 litre gasser and it would be dependable to boot. This is not a pun to ford its a pun to diesel. My buddys have the duramax junk also and there constantly in the shop also. We have all learned our lesson. For pulling enclosed 24ft trailer ill walk the dog up hill or whatever against this ford of mine. Maybe no the newer high powered diesels but my gasser will do 100,000 miles without a tuneup even....... your not gonna do that with diesel period. im all about whats less of a headache and gass trucks are MOST DEFINETLY not near as much of a pain in the ass as diesel trucks.

By the way, we have had several gassers go over 200,000 and sold them and most of them are still running around here today several years after we worked the hell out of them for over 100,000 miles on each. We had to do a few fuel pumps and one truck had manifold bolts crack. Easy LOW COST FIXES.

Why pay more for diesel trucks, pay more for fuel, and have them eat us alive to keep them running???? And just to get a little better fuel mileage???? Its a clear answer to me but we all have different opinions.

Last edited by mowcrazy; 03-13-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

my 2001 Cummins 2500 with 4.10 towing gears is used daily to pull a 16ft lawn car trailer around town and even making 25 stops a day still gets 15.5-16 MPG! 198,000 miles and the starter was rebuilt for $36!!!! Last year at 190,000 miles. Oil change is about $50 for full synthetic and have lab results on the oil that proves it's an acceptable interval. Company I bought my trailer from used gas 3/4 trucks and never got above 10mpg! I have personally bought parts for their Ford diesel trucks(I get a discount) because they keep breaking. I just keep driving and maintaining my Cummins! 23.5MPG hwy! Pulled a Suburban on a deckover trailer and got 16MPG hwy!

So for me the diesel is WORTH IT! Almost 200,000 miles and NO signs of slowing down! Paid $10k and the truck is currently worth 11 after 2 seasons! Gassers that are used for work just don't hold their value. MY .02cents

16' Doolittle: custom made line spool mount, custom blower mount, custom gate assist.

48" eXmark TT HP 17hp Kaw
54" John Deere walk-behind: first mower and still runs strong! SOLD
60" eXmark TT HP 20hp Kohler

STIHL: FS90R, Edger, MS290 Farm Boss, MS440 w/30" bar, blower/shredder vac, back pack blower.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowcrazy View Post
Ive got a 97 powerstroke and a 2004 6.0 gasser chev truck. I had to do many mods to the powerJOKE to keep it out of the way of folks running me over. downpipe, dptuner chip, yada yada and my 6 litre truck still will outpull that ford any day of the week and yes there is nothing wrong with the ford. My gasser never breaks or costs me money. The ford on the other hand has something wrong with it every other week thats costing me money. Injector here injector there, glow plugs, trannys are junk (automatic)...... Ill not own another diesel again.......... Ive got enough in repairs in the ford to have bought another spare 6 litre gasser and it would be dependable to boot. This is not a pun to ford its a pun to diesel. My buddys have the duramax junk also and there constantly in the shop also. We have all learned our lesson. For pulling enclosed 24ft trailer ill walk the dog up hill or whatever against this ford of mine. Maybe no the newer high powered diesels but my gasser will do 100,000 miles without a tuneup even....... your not gonna do that with diesel period. im all about whats less of a headache and gass trucks are MOST DEFINETLY not near as much of a pain in the ass as diesel trucks.

By the way, we have had several gassers go over 200,000 and sold them and most of them are still running around here today several years after we worked the hell out of them for over 100,000 miles on each. We had to do a few fuel pumps and one truck had manifold bolts crack. Easy LOW COST FIXES.

Why pay more for diesel trucks, pay more for fuel, and have them eat us alive to keep them running???? And just to get a little better fuel mileage???? Its a clear answer to me but we all have different opinions.

I don't think all diesels are created equal... I worked at a Ford dealership back in the mid 2000's when the 6.0's came out! WOW! The FICM(fuel injector control module) for example. Very common part for the 7.3 and the Cummins simply doesn't have a "FICM" After almost 200,000 miles my engine has had general maintenance...

16' Doolittle: custom made line spool mount, custom blower mount, custom gate assist.

STIHL: FS90R, Edger, MS290 Farm Boss, MS440 w/30" bar, blower/shredder vac, back pack blower.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a powerstroke. My next will be a cummins
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2013, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.LaVere View Post
my 2001 Cummins 2500 with 4.10 towing gears is used daily to pull a 16ft lawn car trailer around town and even making 25 stops a day still gets 15.5-16 MPG! 198,000 miles and the starter was rebuilt for $36!!!! Last year at 190,000 miles. Oil change is about $50 for full synthetic and have lab results on the oil that proves it's an acceptable interval. Company I bought my trailer from used gas 3/4 trucks and never got above 10mpg! I have personally bought parts for their Ford diesel trucks(I get a discount) because they keep breaking. I just keep driving and maintaining my Cummins! 23.5MPG hwy! Pulled a Suburban on a deckover trailer and got 16MPG hwy!

So for me the diesel is WORTH IT! Almost 200,000 miles and NO signs of slowing down! Paid $10k and the truck is currently worth 11 after 2 seasons! Gassers that are used for work just don't hold their value. MY .02cents
And honestly I believe that was my biggest mistake was not going cummins. My powerstroke gets terrible mileage. I have had an award winning mechanic look over this truck and assure me that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the truck. I do get A LITTLE MORE MILEAGE out of the diesel over my 6.0 gassers but not enough to justify fixing the ford OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER..... And just think I didnt go with dodge because I didnt want to deal with there auto transmissions and my powerstroke has already been eating trannys over the past year and a half.......
Old 03-18-2013, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Member

aww trannys! That's the other side of the equation. When I was at the biggest Ford dealership in the Central US the transmission problems were as common as the 6.0 diesel issues! And very expensive!

My 2001 Cummins had stage 3 ATS installed at 77,000 by the original owner and the same untouched trans in still in the truck today at 198,000 and counting. Shifts perfect!

The most reliable transmission for any diesel is a 5 or 6spd manual though...
I just didn't want to wear my leg out pushing snow and the clutch!