Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2013, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Split Branch--Coral Bark Maple

In my personal yard I have a 25'-- 7" caliper Coral Bark Maple with a split at the "Y" of two main limbs. The split is roughly 12 inches long and running pretty close to vertical. The limbs are approx. 4" in dia. and are originating from the main trunk. The lower part of the split is starting to progress into the trunk abut 2"-3". The split has scabbed over about 6" of the split from the start of the split towards the area of new damage. I plan on using light cable and turn buckles in two different places to prevent any further damage. With the cables, I can cinch up the turn buckles to close the gap in the split.

The split has scabbed over about 6" of the split; from the start of the split towards the area of new damage. I plan on making the cable supports a permanent part of the tree to prevent further damage. There is no evidence of the wound weeping sap in the area.

My question is: Should I scrape the area that has scabbed over and draw the limbs together to aid in healing further up the split? Leave the scabbed area and only support the slit without closing the gap? Close the gap as is and leave the area as is?

The tree overall is in extremely good health and doesn't appear to be in any stress because of the injury.

This is one of my favorite trees and is priceless as far as replacement is concerned. Too large and definitely too expensive.

I might call an arborist to have a look to see what could/should be done.
The tree is worth that much to me.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks for the help.