Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-18-2013, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Green Industry Distance Learning

Mods, wasn't sure what section to post this thread in, please move if need be.

I am looking at taking some landscape design/horticulture/turfgrass classes starting this year. We have no "local" schools that offer such a program. The closest program I know of (horticulture) is more 1.5 hours away. Due to business responsibilities there is no way I can leave the area and go for a 4 year degree at somewhere like Texas A&M. So this brings me to the thread title...are there any good distance learning programs out there that have green industry related topics. I have looked at some at the University of Oregon, but haven't seen too many other ones.
Thanks in advance!
Old 02-19-2013, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegyver View Post

I am looking at taking some landscape design/horticulture/turfgrass classes starting this year. We have no "local" schools that offer such a program. The closest program I know of (horticulture) is more 1.5 hours away. Due to business responsibilities there is no way I can leave the area and go for a 4 year degree at somewhere like Texas A&M. So this brings me to the thread title...are there any good distance learning programs out there that have green industry related topics. I have looked at some at the University of Oregon, but haven't seen too many other ones.
Thanks in advance!
Hate to burst your bubble, but no decent professor of Horticulture is going to give up their Lab time for their courses. (If they have a choice. The college may make them offer online courses.) Thats why you are going to be hard pressed to find an online course. 1.5 hour isn't that bad. Trust me thats a lot of miles over 4 years, but it is an investment that will far outweigh any flyers, truck lettering, websites etc.. See this as a business investment. Because that's what it is! Or don't and it will take years in business and forum reading to absorb all the necessary skills to reach your high end resi "Full service" market you are looking for.

Been in your shoes, if it wasn't for being told that I would leave town for college, I probably wouldn't of. I don't for a minute regret doing it. At Tarleton, there were several guys who kept their businesses running while in school. Most of them from Ft. Worth. It was a challenge but they did it.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegyver View Post

Thanks in advance!
Just something to consider. Most businesses dont fail because of lack of horticulture knowledge, they fail because of poor business practices. The point is you can be the best in your field but suck as a business owner. My business are marketing classes have outweighed any industry knowledge. Perhaps a horticulture management degree would be a good compromise?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2013, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexasProscapesLLC View Post
Hate to burst your bubble, but no decent professor of Horticulture is going to give up their Lab time for their courses. (If they have a choice. The college may make them offer online courses.) Thats why you are going to be hard pressed to find an online course. 1.5 hour isn't that bad. Trust me thats a lot of miles over 4 years, but it is an investment that will far outweigh any flyers, truck lettering, websites etc.. See this as a business investment. Because that's what it is! Or don't and it will take years in business and forum reading to absorb all the necessary skills to reach your high end resi "Full service" market you are looking for.
Been in your shoes, if it wasn't for being told that I would leave town for college, I probably wouldn't of. I don't for a minute regret doing it. At Tarleton, there were several guys who kept their businesses running while in school. Most of them from Ft. Worth. It was a challenge but they did it.
You have a point. Like I said there's no way I could go off to school, but I could see myself going to a nearby school like SFA. SFA is the one that I was referring to in the first post, I know of someone that went through that program and he knows his stuff. I sounds like a good program. I'll be looking into it. I would definitively not be able to run the maintenance side while I am at school, but could see myself fitting quite a bit of landscaping in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Just something to consider. Most businesses dont fail because of lack of horticulture knowledge, they fail because of poor business practices. The point is you can be the best in your field but suck as a business owner. My business are marketing classes have outweighed any industry knowledge. Perhaps a horticulture management degree would be a good compromise?
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes, that is true. I do need to get some business classes in. I took a night course on starting a business a few years ago. I'd like to re-enforce what I know about business finances and quickbooks with some accounting classes if anything.