Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-19-2013, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Member

How would you approach this lawn problem

This is a yard that I'm taking over in Greenville, NC. What I'm about to explain is a very common situation. I have four types of grasses in this lawn (centipede Bermuda crab grass and zoyzia). The centipede is sparsely distributed throughout the yard. Sod is out of the question for the customer. The customer is not interested in spending that much money. We have agreed to establish Bermuda and the yard. And we plan to do this with seeds. So here is my approach. I have already applied pre-emergence to the entire yard. I did this to suppress crabgrass growth. In June I will cut the grass down low, and aerate and spread Sahara Bermuda grass seed and treat with XLR8. I could consider to round up the whole from yard and start from scratch too. But the Bermuda that is already established is pretty good.By July we should have a fairly established germination and yard.

What Do you think about my approach?
What would you do in this situation?
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2013, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

crabgrass isn't up yet. could it be poa? or fescue? can't see from the pic.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes crabgrass is not up but the shaded areas represent where the grasses were growing last year. And it it pretty obvious just by looking and the coloration of the dormant grasses. I've attached the original photo.
Attached Images

Last edited by overtona; 02-19-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Will the guy go along with hydro seeding
1,000 - 2,000 square feet * $0.18 per square foot*
2,001 - 4,000 square feet * $0.15 per square foot*
4,001 - 6,000 square feet * $0.12 per square foot
6,001 - 10,000 square feet * $0.11 per square foot
10,001 - 20,000*square feet * $0.10 per square foot
20,001 - 43,560 square feet * $0.09 per square foot
43,561 - 100,000 square feet * $0.08 per square foot
100,001 + square feet * $0.07 per square foot
Old 02-19-2013, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Maybe So. I have not considered that option. I have no experience with hydorseeding. Pretty good though with the the seeding approach though.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by overtona View Post
This is a yard that I'm taking over in Greenville, NC. What I'm about to explain is a very common situation. I have four types of grasses in this lawn (centipede Bermuda crab grass and zoyzia). The centipede is sparsely distributed throughout the yard. Sod is out of the question for the customer. The customer is not interested in spending that much money. We have agreed to establish Bermuda and the yard. And we plan to do this with seeds. So here is my approach. I have already applied pre-emergence to the entire yard. I did this to suppress crabgrass growth. In June I will cut the grass down low, and aerate and spread Sahara Bermuda grass seed and treat with XLR8. I could consider to round up the whole from yard and start from scratch too. But the Bermuda that is already established is pretty good.By July we should have a fairly established germination and yard.

What Do you think about my approach?
What would you do in this situation?
If the pre-m, that you put down already is inactivated by June,, which allows you to sow Bermuda, wouldn't aerating bring up a bunch of new CG seeds to the surface???
Old 02-20-2013, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ax is makes a good point...wouldn't the pre-em would block germination of the Bermuda seed? Of course, we have a different situation up here in the frozen north.
Perhaps treatment of the new sprouting crabgrass with Drive XLR8, would knock out enough to allow you to get bermuda seed started. But then crabgrass and bermuda would be coming up at the same time, 6 weeks later. Can you spray the crabgrass again--even if the bermuda seed sprouts are very young? And repeat every four weeks?
Is this site irrigated? What is to prevent it from burning out again?

Easier (I am thinking) to grow the new bermuda seed this year and use crabgrass preventer max rate next year.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Ax is makes a good point...wouldn't the pre-em would block germination of the Bermuda seed? Of course, we have a different situation up here in the frozen north.
Perhaps treatment of the new sprouting crabgrass with Drive XLR8, would knock out enough to allow you to get bermuda seed started. But then crabgrass and bermuda would be coming up at the same time, 6 weeks later. Can you spray the crabgrass again--even if the bermuda seed sprouts are very young? And repeat every four weeks?
Is this site irrigated? What is to prevent it from burning out again?

Easier (I am thinking) to grow the new bermuda seed this year and use crabgrass preventer max rate next year.
The pre-m after several months is ineffective. By June I should be safe.....our soil is very sandy. CG will usually out compete Bermuda seeds . XLR8 can be applied directly to seeds with no problem......but works best on 2-4 tiller stage. Yes the site will be irrigated.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have worked sites like this. I would NOT use Pre's as they will inhibit the spreading of the bermuda runners. I would just treat the crab post emergent and create a favorable growing environment for the bermuda. Bermuda seed doesn't germinate too well in already established grass.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Member

grass

i would give the lawn a really heavy thatch since grass wont grow until it hits the dirt.once established id hit it with scotts weed and feed heavly since it wont burn the new lawn and wala the custemore happy the cost was down and tell them u need to fertilize 2 more times this season.a healthy lawn will force the weeds out